X

K&N air filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N air filter

ok i have noticed that everyone on here has been saying not to use the K&N air filter but the filter looks much nicer then the regular airbox but why does everyone say not to use it

Use it, you'll see why.

Comment

I'm going to switch back to stock...
      '95 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Use it, you'll see why.
        well this really dosent answer my question lol

Comment

im pretty sure its because it will end up running too rich & then need a tune to fix it.

Comment

Negative, it'll run too LEAN, and you can't tune for it. Well, you can, but it's a pita and it offers zero benefits in ANY RPM range and it also lets a bunch of crap in the engine that the OE filter actually filters. And that's the AIR BOX filter. By your comment that it looks better than the air box, I assume you're talking about pod filter. Good luck with that one. Those you certainly CAN NOT tune for. Not without about 2 grand in Dyno runs.
            Last edited by arsenic; 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I have one Ill sell you from a customers bike that switched back to stock after the first ride
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by MannyrtFresh View Post
                im pretty sure its because it will end up running too rich & then need a tune to fix it.
                its the exact opposite, actually.

the CV carbs require a certain amount of vacuum to operate properly.
                The airbox and stock paper filter are specifically engineered and designed to help provide that vacuum level so that the fuel/air mix will be correctly fed to the engine.

taking the airbox off and using pods, or switching to a K&N replacement filter messes that up by increasing the flow and leaning the mixture out so that the bike has problems holding an idle, and will have serious lack of power issues and flatspots in the RPM range.

tuning the bike to use a K&N or Pod filters is difficult at best, and provides no benefit to a stock bike.

as a note, even open airbox drain hose openings can create erratic idle and function, so imagine what a K&N does.

just skip it, the filter AND the headache.

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

+1

Comment

I know we're not as cool as those glossy pictures you saw in a magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      I know we're not as cool as those glossy pictures you saw in a magazine.
                      actually, we're cooler. our bikes RUN correctly

See My Garage for mods...
                      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Thats funny i was actually looking at the streetfighter section and saw some bikes that had them and i thought they looked cool but im just trying to get my bike to run with an airbox

Comment

Some of us like our bikes running like ****. Lol nah, mine was like that when I bought it, and since it runs (albeit a bit rich) and I'm currently in the process of making it FI, didn't see the point of buying an airbox for it.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                          X