Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New" Kat 600, couple questions Advice needed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New" Kat 600, couple questions Advice needed.

Okay ill try to make this story short and sweet...I just recovered a 97 Kat and looking for advice and answers to help me restore this beautiful bike.

She is a 97 Kat 600 w/ only 1900 miles. She was stored away in the basement for the last 10 years and hasnt had been touched since til yesterday.

So I now have her in my possession..

Well key works in the ignition, rear seat and the gas tank.

PROBLEM is that the gas lid is rusted shut and local dealer wanted to charge me 250 bucks to service but no gaurantee to break the seal..so i refused..anyone know or have any reccomendations for me.

SO DO I DRILL IT OUT AND ORDER A NEW GAS LID OR DRILL IT OUT???

TO DO LIST

TIRES- ordering Metzeler Z6's F-120/70ZR17 & R- 150/70ZR17
    New Brake Lines Ordered
    New Air filter
    Changing oil & Filter
    Cleaning Carbs
    New chain and sprokets
    All New Fluids
    All New Hoses

Please let me know if i should do anything else..Thanks

Originally posted by Batestown24 View Post
    Okay ill try to make this story short and sweet...I just recovered a 97 Kat and looking for advice and answers to help me restore this beautiful bike.

She is a 97 Kat 600 w/ only 1900 miles. She was stored away in the basement for the last 10 years and hasnt had been touched since til yesterday.

So I now have her in my possession..

Well key works in the ignition, rear seat and the gas tank.

PROBLEM is that the gas lid is rusted shut and local dealer wanted to charge me 250 bucks to service but no gaurantee to break the seal..so i refused..anyone know or have any reccomendations for me.

SO DO I DRILL IT OUT AND ORDER A NEW GAS LID OR DRILL IT OUT???

TO DO LIST

TIRES- ordering Metzeler Z6's F-120/70ZR17 & R- 150/70ZR17
    New Brake Lines Ordered
    New Air filter
    Changing oil & Filter
    Cleaning Carbs
    New chain and sprokets
    All New Fluids
    All New Hoses

Please let me know if i should do anything else..Thanks

The tank lid is aluminum parts mostly. At least the body, and the latches that slide inside it. Oxidization can cause them to stick. I would NOT suggest drilling it out. It IS possible to get it free enough to get the tank open.

If repetative motions trying to turn the key back and forth holding down on the lip of the lid (with out bending the key, you don't want to break it) are not enough to eventually work it free, you can try by removing the tank.

Once the tank is off, remove the petcock and drain it if any fluid is in there. Remove the float sensor as well. You now have a large enough hole to get a longer pry bar in.

Use the bar to push on the catches from inside the tank, while trying to turn the key. This should release the catches (there are 2).

Once it's open, remove and disassemble the lid. You can clean and polish the latches and it will work like new. Use dry silicone lock lubricant, not a liquid.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice bro.. ill start this weekend and repost to keep everyone updates..

Comment

We had someone else with the same problem a few weeks ago. He had trouble reaching the latches to push on them. Not sure how it turned out but he ended up turning the tank upside down over a drip pan and soaking the latch in white vinegar. Some leaked out so he needed the drip pan underneath it but last I remember, it was working.

Ah, here it is: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114708

No resolution posted, though so I don't know how it all turned out.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
        X