X

Gas lid stuck! HAAAALP!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas lid stuck! HAAAALP!!!

K....so I been a baaaad motorcycle rider, but things have been crazy which is where the negligence part of this comes in.

Anyways....long story short...I haven't maintained my gas tank the way I should. It's been stored for nearly a year (dry) and I guess there was a little gas left or something and it's corroded the latch from the inside. The key turns all the way to the right, but it just won't spring open cuz of the corrosion. I tried unscrewing all the allen screws thinking I could just take it off that way, but no. It's, I guess, fitted in there from the inside. Anyways....am I screwed? See the attached picture. Disregard the rust (nothing a few BB's and some kerosene can't fix and see if you can't help me out. Because of the angle it's hard to get any tools in there. Thinking about maybe getting a hose and letting some coke sit in there? I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any help!!

P.s. I checked my Hanes manual first and they really don't have anything on this. =/
    Attached Files

The angle that you're seeing is from the circle on the bottom the float sensor goes in. The white/gray thing is the latch of the lock.

Comment

I'd go with a heavy dosing of penetrating oil, let it sit for an hour or so and then push on each of the locking tabs with a pry bar while turning the key in the lock. Might break it free like that. The coke isn't a bad idea, either.

Either way, I'd be shopping on e-bay for a new filler cap.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That'll be nearly impossible through a ping pong ball sized hole. Am I not looking over a way to just pop that biznatch off?

Comment

Not impossible at all. You're not looking to pry like you would to pull a nail. If it's going to move at all then it shouldn't take a huge amount of force. Just fish a bent-tip pry bar between the flange and the locking tab and then give the bar a twist.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

if you cant fit a rod in there an place it on the inside of the cap an bang it out an you want to go the dissolvent route I'd suggest vinegar over coke
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Pretty much anything acidic. Best thing would be muriatic acid. You're in Orlando. Know any pool cleaners?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Best thing would be muriatic acid. You're in Orlando. Know any pool cleaners?
                +1
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

You'd think I'd know a zillion but I don't. lol! Coke is a lil easier/cheaper to come by (I know I'm splitting hairs) so I'll prolly try and pour some in there and let it sit (hopefully it won't leak out) and then try the "beat it up" method. Thanks for the help guys. Any other advice is GREEEEEATLY welcomed.

Comment

Don't beat on it too hard. The last thing you want to do is distort the tank! Try the twisting-a-prybar thing. It's a lot less likely to tear something else up.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yea...I figured I'd get a long screw driver and hammer and tap on it from the bottom and maybe a rubber mallet on top to jar something loose IF the coke doesn't work which...I'm hoping it does. Will post how it goes.

Comment

I dont see how vinegar is so hard to find compared to coke? i know there are grocery stores in fl. lol honestly going that route vinegar works much better than coke an is easy to clean afterwards

goodluck
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

+1 on the vinegar. That way you don't have to deal with the sugar from the coke. Get that into your carbs and you won't be happy. Save the coke for your battery terminals.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Good point. Vinegar it is. Stupid questoin, but as I'm not a Vinegar connoisseur....what kind? It's not that it's hard to find....just...I get free Coke from work.

Comment

Distilled White Vinegar.

(Heloise says it's good for all kinds of cr*p!)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X