X

Question for you Carb gurus

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you Carb gurus

One question for carb gurus. I took mine out and cleaned them, but realized I wasn't sure how the hoses hooked up to it. Are these in the correct place? Or are they incorrect?

Bike is a 1991 600.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Eskimo10; 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM. Reason: Problem changed.

From what I can tell it looks right. But route the lines behind the rail with the rubber loops.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yep. Route the fuel lines inside the rail and replace the one on the left. (Might as well replace both while you're at it.) It's crimped and is going to restrict fuel flow at high rpms.

I also put the spring clamps on so the tabs are between the carbs. Probably just paranoia but I don't want them to get bumped loose.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sweet, thanks guys! I plan on replacing all the hoses on the bike before I get my parts back from the body shop.

Comment

Ok so I got all my parts back from the body shop today. I have a question about the tank and hoses from the tank.

using that diagram I was able to get all the hoses to the right places from the petcock. However, the one labeled #6 the vent hose, where does that go? It was leaking gas wen I put a little bit in. Should it go to #4?

Comment

it goes to nothing. It just hangs down

Comment

I thought so too, but it leaked gas like a water fountain when I put a little bit of gas in it!

Comment

it shouldn't

Comment

The two small hoses that attach to the bottom of the tank (not the petcock) are drain lines. The one on the left side of the tank goes to a tube that connects to the area around the gas cap. If that one dribbles it means you overfilled the tank or just sloshed some fuel around the cap area. If it pours gas then the tube is broken. The other one is a drain for if the fuel level sensor gasket leaks. if that one is dumping gas then you need to replace that gasket.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ah ok I'm thinking gasket around the fuel level sensor then. But say the tube is broken. Anyway of replacing that? Or is the tank screwed?

Comment

tank screwed.

Comment

Yep. If that line is pouring fuel then it's a big deal. In theory, you could cut the bottom of the tank open, replace the tube and weld the tank back shut (probably cost you more than a replacement tank) but the only good reason I could think of for that tube to be broken is massive rust inside the tank. If that's the case then the tank would be shot since there wouldn't be enough metal left to weld.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

POR15 the tank.

If the pipe is rusted through you can seal the tank and eliminate the leaks with POR15.
                          On my tank the spot weld ripped out of the bottom of the tank around the fuel guage sending unit. New gaskets would not help. I sealed the tank with the sending unit inplace being careful not to puddle it up in or on the sending unit itself, just around the base.
                          It worked like a charm and has not leaked in 4 years
                          for $45 for the kit its worth a shot and you end up with a tank that is stronger then new
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            The two small hoses that attach to the bottom of the tank (not the petcock) are drain lines. The one on the left side of the tank goes to a tube that connects to the area around the gas cap. If that one dribbles it means you overfilled the tank or just sloshed some fuel around the cap area. If it pours gas then the tube is broken. The other one is a drain for if the fuel level sensor gasket leaks. if that one is dumping gas then you need to replace that gasket.
                            Ok in terms of the picture I linked to (http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...se_Connections) which one are you referring to as left and right?
                            In that picture. I'm dumping gas from #6, NOT#4. And a dribble from around the handle on the petcock where I can turn the knob.

For my first problem, dumping from #6, I'm thinking replace the gasket?
                            This is what the dumping looks like from the #6 the fuel level sensor.

And for my second problem, leaking from the knob at the petcock, I'm thinking a petcock rebuild kit? Any suggestions? Pics and a video will be up soon.
                            Leaking from this area around the petcock
                            Last edited by Eskimo10; 04-06-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

#6 is the right side of the tank (as it's mounted on the bike). That one has a replaceable gasket. A leak from #4 would be bad.

As for the petcock, get a good quality rebuild kit. It's worth the extra $2. Remember to soak the petcock body overnight in solvent (just like your carb bodies) to soften up any residue inside it. Scrub with a q-tip and watch out for the little spring that doesn't come out of the body. You don't want to bend it up. (I haven't been able to find a replacement or even a good way to remove it.) When you take the knob off the petcock watch to see where the little dot is on the plastic valve body inside, under the knob. You want to make sure you put it back in the right way.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X