No announcement yet.
X

Homemade Manometer Notes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true. That tool doesn't make it EASY, just POSSIBLE.

Comment

I just put this together tonight. My thoughts:
      Buy your bottles before you buy your stoppers. I figured I'd pick good-looking stoppers and find bottles to match- not as easy.
      Get more tube than you think you need by a few good feet. 3/16" ID fits the vacuum ports on my 88, but it'll be different for 90+.
      I had the worst time with the stoppers wedging their way out of my bottles. They were too big, really, to fit the bottles and would work their way out after a few minutes. I oiled them up at first to get them in, and I think this made the problem 10x worse. My solution was a whole bunch of packing tape.

It was too late to sync them tonight (don't want to run the engine in the garage) so I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I'm trying motor oil as my fluid- we'll see how that goes.
      1988 Katana 600 / GSX600F

Comment

By now you guys might realize I'm retarted, and I can't pick things up on myself...so here is another dumb inquiry....

There is no detailed synchronizing 101 or anything that I could find, nothing very detailed at least. I understand the bottle method and I want to do that, but I am not sure of the details....

So I want to synch 1-2 and 3-4 then 2-3.

And I only have two tubes for the bottle method, so I leave the vacuum caps on the carbs I am not using and plug the line that goes to the petcock(unless this carb is being synched). Then after synching those (after bike is warm of course) I turn the bike off and switch to the next two carbs while plugging up the previous ones, following this step for the middle...all while keeping gas flowing so it can run durr.

The bottles should have equal pressure and level out, meaning they are synched.

Please let me know if any of this is wrong or I missed anything.
        Last edited by iamtheguynoodles; 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM. Reason: durrr
        I can do it

Comment

Originally posted by iamtheguynoodles View Post
          By now you guys might realize I'm retarted, and I can't pick things up on myself...so here is another dumb inquiry....

There is no detailed synchronizing 101 or anything that I could find, nothing very detailed at least. I understand the bottle method and I want to do that, but I am not sure of the details....

So I want to synch 1-2 and 3-4 then 2-3.

And I only have two tubes for the bottle method, so I leave the vacuum caps on the carbs I am not using and plug the line that goes to the petcock(unless this carb is being synched). Then after synching those (after bike is warm of course) I turn the bike off and switch to the next two carbs while plugging up the previous ones, following this step for the middle...all while keeping gas flowing so it can run durr.

The bottles should have equal pressure and level out, meaning they are synched.

Please let me know if any of this is wrong or I missed anything.
          Pretty much. If using a two channel sync method have to put the caps back on the carbs not connected or you get a vac leak and she'll most likely rev up high. I myself would get a 4 carb sync tool just to make it easier.
          Last edited by Jman2343; 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            ...A longer shaft will make it easier if you have one...
            I have a longer shaft...much longer

Seriously though, once your done and put the tank back on, put your petcock on pri (prime) to move the air bubble in the fuel line. I didn't do that my first time and the bike dies on the way home from work. Most engines don't work unless there is fuel flowing .
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

(3-4, 1-2, 2-3)
              Last edited by iamtheguynoodles; 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM.
              I can do it

Comment

Originally posted by iamtheguynoodles View Post
                (3-4, 1-2, 2-3)
                If your asking, the answer is yes.

Comment

2 stroke oil is best, its red and is made to be burnt in the cylinder so it wouldn't damage the engine if it got sucked up somehow.

Comment

Maybe I am not understanding correctly, can one of you guys help me understand part of this process. If I do 3-4 , 1-2, then 2-3. Wont that make 3-4 , 1-2 out of sync again?
                    Seems like 2-3 ,then sync 1 to 2 and 4 to 3 , would make them all even.

Comment

No, it rather simple. You sync 1 to 2, Then 3 to 4. Then set 1 & 2 to set 3 & 4,

Comment

Thank you, I get it now. I need to learn to stop thinking about these things when I been awake 33 hours straight.
                        My bike is running pretty good already, but this winter I will be getting a new pipe,jets. might as well plan on a carb clean and sync while I am at it.

Comment

Here's a decent guide for those still having troubles. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/sync.htm
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                          -Terence

Comment

Working...
                          X