Homemade Manometer Notes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjhussell View Post
    I am new to messing with carbs.

First question. Is the process the same for post 98 kats?

Second question. My bike runs pretty well, but lately I have been noticing that it idles a little funny. It is kinda like you were saying earlier, rrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrr. Does that mean I should try synchronizing the carbs?

Are there any tips for how to turn the screws without actually buying the expensive tool? I will only be doing this to my bike and a special tool seems unnecessary.
    1) The process is the same, but the vacuum ports are located in a different spot (on top of the carbs) in other bike models so that's where to connect the hoses.

2) Up to you... Some people get it kind of close (bench sync) and call it a day. If you have free time, then it can't hurt to try, since the homemade manometer tool designs are so inexpensive.

3) What Kreylyn said It was flat head for me but I guess the other models are philips head. And I did mine without the special tool... but it would have been helpful to have it :P

Comment

I think I am going to put this on the to do list then. Is it necessary to try and bench synch them first?

Comment

Originally posted by jjhussell View Post
        I think I am going to put this on the to do list then. Is it necessary to try and bench synch them first?

The bench sync is to get them close enough that the bike will run and idle for the process to be completed.

If it runs, you don't need to "bench sync"....

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i just installed a jet kit on my bike told me to tighten the fuel mixture till i felt light tension then back it out 2 1/2 turns and i started thinking this thing was syncd to a terrible running running motor so should i sync then adjust fuel mixture?

Comment

no, adjust the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out, THEN sync
            I don't know where this misconception comes from, but A/F screws and a carb sync a two entirely different things.

Comment

right i understand its 2 diffferent things maybe i just worded it strangely fuel mix is 2.5 out so now is sync then adjust fuel till it runs perfectly gotcha
              the only thing i didnt care for was tighten them down till u feel light tension which my carbs were so crusty it was hard telling where to start but i think i have it done correctly i counted the threads above the screw head and they r all very close thanks for the info

while im here anyone know an easy way to adjust the fuel mix with the carbs on the bike without ordering special tools

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  I don't know where this misconception comes from, but A/F screws and a carb sync a two entirely different things.
                  I think it's that both are the only screws on the outside of the carbs that seem to adjust anything. People think "oh ok I'm just going to turn any of these screws until it runs right"... durrrr. I wouldn't be surprised if someone loosened their choke bar screws in an attempt to synchronize their carbs LOL

Originally posted by Shaded02 View Post
                  while im here anyone know an easy way to adjust the fuel mix with the carbs on the bike without ordering special tools
                  Some bikes have replacement thumb screws available (http://factorypro.com/products/fuel%...Long%20Boy.htm) but not the Katana as far as I know. I wouldn't try buying those to try; likely would not work. Besides, it's hard to get your hands in between the carbs and frame so it would be hard to adjust them... and probably wouldn't be very precise. I've had to take my carbs off so many freaking times now that it only takes about a minute for me to take my tank and carbs off... the screws wouldn't be much time savings :P

Comment

Nice work foxox! I should have made one of these... I bought a vacuum gauge from Harbor Freight but it doesn't work that well because I'm so low on the gauge.
                    1993 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by rolofung View Post
                      Nice work foxox! I should have made one of these... I bought a vacuum gauge from Harbor Freight but it doesn't work that well because I'm so low on the gauge.
                      That's why it doesn't work well. Don't worry nothing from there does.

Comment

so i absolutely have to pull them off to adjust the fuel screw?

Comment

just could buy the screw driver, otherwise, yes

Comment

what does that cost and where do i get one?

Comment

Pilot Screw Adj. Tool

Comment

Even with a pilot adjusting screwdriver like the one in the link arsenic posted its still hard to tell if your turning the screw or not its a PITA
                                that just my experience with that tool and its not even from harbor freight
                                Im not a carburetor guru.

Comment

Working...
                                X