X

Shift lever seal replacment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift lever seal replacment

Just got the bike and noticed the seal around the shifter seems to be leaking. Can I replace the seal without tearing into the transmission? I think I can just take off the cover over the sprocket, the shift linkage, and then hopefully just pry out the old seal with the shift rod still in. Then slide in the new seal.

Has anyone done this?
    1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

not quite sure what seal you are referring to... what is it leaking?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yes, its that simple. Those seals are all pressed in from the outside. Just make sure you figure out which is leaking, there should be a shifter seal, a push rod seal (The shifter rod just pulls stright out), a counter shaft seal and an o-ring for the nuetral safety switch. Careful not to roll the edge of the seal or it will leak worse than ever.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The seal around the shifter rod is the one I'm talking about. The rod that is splined and rotates as you push the shifter up and down.

It looked like it was pressed in from the outside, but I wasn't sure.

Looks like most of the leaking is coming from there, maybe some up near the sprocket, but I can't really tell until I get the case off.
        Last edited by ottoguy; 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM.
        1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

Comment

clean it all really well with brake cleaner and a tooth brush then start the bike and watch for the oil leak. its not to often the shift shaft seals leak, usually the counder shaft and clutch pushrod seals go first.
          either way they can all be changed from the outside within minutes.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
          X