No announcement yet.
X

Gas lid stuck! HAAAALP!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha!! Touche! Just went out and checked it once more time before bed...still no leakage, but it is turning into a fine rusty soup though. Guess that means it's working. C'mon vinegar....work your magic!

Comment

What is the verdict today? Did it eat its way through.... tank open now?
      Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Welp....I was running super late for work so I wasn't able to try it. I did look in it real quick and there was a ton of rust and corrosion that came out. After pouring it out (as i didn't want that primordial goop sitting in the tank while at work) and rinsing out with water I looked at the corrosion on the locking mechanism seems to be greatly reduced, but still has some. I'll probably give it another session tonight when I get home.

Comment

ok good to hear! Give it a little tap-tap-tapero with the rubber on the outside latch before flipping it upside down again and putting the vinegar in there overnight again.

Also, once you do get it freed up, make sure you sand away any of the old rust from in there before you go to use it again.
          Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

So...after 3 gallons of vinegar (3 sessions of 8+ hours of soaking) this is what it's done. Actually really helped the rust too. It's nearly all gone along with the corrosion. Still....when I turn the key...there's literally no tension. Just turns all the way to the right and the mechanism will not go in. I've inserted a screw driver and tried tapping on the mechanism with the key turned and it just won't freakin budge. I'm wishing I had a plasma torch right about now to just cut into the gd bottom. Trying to do all of this through a caddy-corner hole is nearly impossible. Thinking about trying one more gallon of vinegar cuz it does seem like more and more comes off each time, but I'm low on hope.

Question: When the key is turned....does only one thing of the mechanism spring in or are there two parts that spring inwards when the key is turned? Asking because I'm not sure if I need to be tapping on 2 things.

Question2: You see the two little Phillips screws there right by the mechanism? Not that I could imagine how to get to them, but would that help anything out?

Not sure what else could be done. =(
            Attached Files

Comment

P.S. I think the flash is making it look a lil more white/corroded than it still is. It's actually a dull shiny gray right now. Not exactly sure what it should look like as I don't remember (or have actually paid attn) to what it originally looks like. See the original pic at the beginning of the thread vs. this one and you'll see the vinegar is F'n it up though.

Comment

Just keep going man.... keep working the vinegar in there. Soon enough it'll break free!
                Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

It's got to right?! I figure I'll toss 2 more gallons (2 8 hour+ sessions) in it before seeking other means (a grenade). Post again in a couple days. *fingers crossed*

Comment

if you could get the screws out I think the lock mechanism will come apart , the key tumblers and all
                    I am guessing its nearly impossible to get to the screws ,I would try with a 1/4" drive bit with extensions and a flex joint

Depending on how big a hurry your in my next move if that didnt work would be a 1/4 or 1/2 inch drill bit in the key hole
                    This pretty much will destroy the cap assembly and you will probably end up replacing it with a unmatched key or a nonlocking unit
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Okay, I've been not so regularly checking in on this thread. Seeing as you're still stuck, I went down to mine, and took this pic.

As you can possibly see, there is only one tab that moves when the cap releases, and when the cap is closed, that tab is towards the front of the tank. With the cap open, and the key NOT turned, that tab won't press in. The key must be turned for it to be able to move. However, I think it is mechanically linked with the key turning. I don't think it's just a spring. If your key moves freely with no tension, then something may be broken. Either way, if you can get something in there to try pushing that tab into the gas cap, and possibly keep the key turned at the same time, it will maybe pop open for you. It might be possible to do something like safety wire to keep the key turned, and push down on the cap to release tension on that tab while trying from the inside to manually push that tab in. Either way, hope this helps.

Dan

Comment

Bummer

The penetrating oil is a good idea. I would use CLP if you have any. Its used for cleaning guns. It breaks down corrosion pretty good. Either way youll need a new cap. Try onetail.com they sell a sweet keyless replacement cap. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks a lot Dan for the pic and info. Certainly helps out. I've had 2 more full freakin gallons of Vinegar. the tank is starting to look verrrry good. Alas....the thing will not budge. The key turns to the right, still, with no tension and stops. I'm not sure if it stops early or not. It goes from 12 o'clock to like 2. Any more and the key starts to bend. I've taken the screws out of the top so that it will actually spin around and I have a better vantage point from the bottom. Inside the tank there's a cylinder that goes around the mechanism; that combined with the angle makes it nearly impossible to get any tool in there to get those little screws out. It's looking like I'm going to have to strap some TNT to it or get a drill. This is very disheartening. =/ Might, first, try and get a screw driver in there and turn it as hard as I can. Can't risk f'n up my only key by turning harder than 2'oclock. Any other ideas I'm certainly listening. Thanks a lot for all the help!! Keeps me sane.

Comment

How about back to one of the original suggestions and try to get a prybar in there to push on the latch? Especially if you've got that thing turning around, you ought to be able to get something in there to push on that thing even if it takes custom bending some flatstock to reach. Fish the prybar in there, hold the key turned and push on the latch.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by jcos View Post
                              ... Either way youll need a new cap. Try onetail.com they sell a sweet keyless replacement cap....
                              I went to the site and couldn't find the cap you were talking about. Could you link me plz?

Comment

Have you seen this thread? http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102762

There are some detailed pictures of the gas cap, both inside and outside.

Although it doesn't like it, if it happens to have the same problem with the little ball being loose, trying to open the cap while holding the tank in various positions could help (e.g. tilt it, upside down, etc).

Comment

Working...
                                X