X

Gas cap wouldn't open

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap wouldn't open

My gas cap got stuck again today. Stuck, as in I could turn the key about 45 degrees, but it wouldn't turn the full 90 degrees allowing it to open. This had happened once before, and I had removed the entire cap by unbolting it, and it had started working again. This time I decided to take it apart to see what was wrong.

Once again, after removing the gas cap from the bike, it only took a few tries and suddenly it started working again. I checked the surface of the lip that the catches on the cap slide on, and everything was smooth, nothing to hang up on.

First, I removed the two screws that hold the top ring and pressure-plate to the cap:

I should note at this point that this should be done indoors over a table where you can find small parts. There is supposed to be a small steel ball that sits on the small spring next to the lock cylinder (just below the cylinder in the above picture), that helps keep the flap over the key entry in either the open or closed position. I took the cap apart outside standing next to the bike and never saw or heard the part drop. I only noticed when I put everything back together and the flap was loose, and I searched the site and found out about this part.

The gas cap separated into an upper and lower half. The upper half contained the tumbler, the lower half contains the two catches that hook a lip inside the tank.

Inside were two loose parts. After some tinkering, I figured out what the parts were and where they went:

The two bumps on the bottom of the lock cylinder engaged the slides that retract the catches on the lower half of the gas cap. The loose parts appeared to be part of the vent mechanism. Depending on how the gas cap is oriented, the steel ball can roll blocking or unblocking vent holes.

Because the metal cap holding the steel ball in place came loose, it fell into the path of one of the catches, preventing it from fully retracting.

I put the ball back in the hole and pressed the metal cap back in place:

Works!

Also, sticking latches sometimes are due to dirt in the lock cylinder. You can try spraying some WD40 in there and turning the key a few times... may not be related to this issue, but it's more often than not the cause of problems in lock cylinders.
    1991 Katana 750 (GSX750F) 23K miles
    -Mystic Color Shifting Paint (Cyan/Magenta)
    -Corbin Seat

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeRider View Post
      Also, sticking latches sometimes are due to dirt in the lock cylinder. You can try spraying some WD40 in there and turning the key a few times... may not be related to this issue, but it's more often than not the cause of problems in lock cylinders.
      That was what I tried the first time. The cylinder was turning 45 degrees, so the lock mechanism was fine. It was just the loose vent parts getting in the way preventing the slides from retracting fully.

Comment

Had that happen on my Kat as well. I just left the ball out since the cap was a loose fit. Never had an issue there after.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Heavy oxidization of the aluminum parts can also cause lock issues (looks like a white powdery substance). Cleaning and polishing aluminum parts will resolve that issue.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
            Had that happen on my Kat as well. I just left the ball out since the cap was a loose fit. Never had an issue there after.
            Not sure, but I think the ball is really only used in a tip-over situation. Can't quite remember now, but I think it closes a vent hole if the ball rolls up the tube.

Comment

My cap never wants to open, so normally have to wiggle the darn thing for 5 minutes before it opens. Taking it apart and cleaning it out is on my winter to-do list. I glad you posted this, so now I wont be going in blind.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                My cap never wants to open, so normally have to wiggle the darn thing for 5 minutes before it opens. Taking it apart and cleaning it out is on my winter to-do list. I glad you posted this, so now I wont be going in blind.
                Just watch for that little steel ball that comes loose when you take the two screws off the bottom of the gas cap

Comment

carpet samples work great for padding your worksurface. i keep one perminantly on my garage desk. use silicone or some other non wd40 cleaner/lube. wd40 is actually a cleaner rather than lubricant.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

take the cap off and stick a sock in it. when you need to fill take the sock out. easy fix and no cost to you. j/k serious note, i always like to use Graphite Lock Lube it fix all my locking issues from home, cars, to bikes. i think its little less messier and it does not attract dirt compared to fluid type lube. But in your case taking it apart was the only solution. Might do it again if the actual problem is not fixed. why did the cup fall out in the first place?
                    this is the best icon eva

Comment

Originally posted by 96katana96 View Post
                      why did the cup fall out in the first place?
                      No idea, but apparently I wasn't the only one with this problem. It looks like a brass part pressed in; I guess the fit just came loose.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, I'm a fixing to do this cuz my key sticks sometimes
                        Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Never heard of this issue before...

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                            Never heard of this issue before...
                            Usually happens to old caps/originals or (like me) the ones the PO nover bothered taking care of.
                            Captain of Squad 11

Comment

I may be misreading, but you got the lock off of the tank without actually being able to open it? How?

Comment

Working...
                              X