Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Header/exhaust coating (not the same old questions)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually ceramic coating the inside through a pc process is or can be smooth and smoother than stock pipe
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

ok while we're on the subject of coating the inside.
      Would ceramic coating the inside prevent or lessen the discoloration you usually get, after a while, on chromed headers?
      -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
        Would ceramic coating the inside prevent or lessen the discoloration you usually get, after a while, on chromed headers?
        yes, think temperature and ceramic, thus cooler and blueing is caused by heat.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Also hot gasses move faster..
          So you scavange without effecting the
          sonics of the pipe..

Keep us in the loop Thom!

Comment

Theory says yes (but it depends on how much thermal barrier protection it would provide -- sooner or later that heat will get through if you ride enough hours in a row) -- but using a thicker layer of chrome with a higher nickle content will also help prevent blue-ing...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Theory says yes (but it depends on how much thermal barrier protection it would provide -- sooner or later that heat will get through if you ride enough hours in a row) -- but using a thicker layer of chrome with a higher nickle content will also help prevent blue-ing...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Was just curious since i've talked with my dad about it recently , he restores a lot of old british bikes and the spare parts that are available for those, aren't always the best possible quality you could want, esp. a lot of the exhaust headers go blue almost overnight.
              So we've been debating if ceramic coating might be a way to avoid or atleast lessen the issue.
              As for myself i'm in the mood for a new exhaust system soon and anything that could help up its resistance to wear & tear is always good in my book (My bike gets exposed to a lot of weather, dust & road salt )
              This ceramic paint is deffinatly something that would come in handy for a replacement exhaust system.

Comment

Was just curious since i've talked with my dad about it recently , he restores a lot of old british bikes and the spare parts that are available for those, aren't always the best possible quality you could want, esp. a lot of the exhaust headers go blue almost overnight.
                So we've been debating if ceramic coating might be a way to avoid or atleast lessen the issue.
                As for myself i'm in the mood for a new exhaust system soon and anything that could help up its resistance to wear & tear is always good in my book (My bike gets exposed to a lot of weather, dust & road salt )
                This ceramic paint is deffinatly something that would come in handy for a replacement exhaust system.
                For a situation like his, I would recommend externally ceramic coating (baked-on powder-coat style ceramic coating) as a method of permanently ending that issue, as well as removing the spectre of rust. It won't normally look as visually pretty as a chrome plate (not as lusterous, or as smooth), but it will protect indefinitely (until removed by grinding or other very hard impacts).
                At least one company out there has figured out a way of including silver as a component in the coating to get a higher-shine (more chrome-like) look out of it; there are also suppliers that have colored variants (such as deep blue, etc). My headers have the powder-coating industry standard alumina-ceramic coating on them and are a silverish-gray color that is shinier than engine block metals but by not as shiney as the stainless OEM end-can (on the Kat, you don't see the headers unless you search for them anyway)...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

For a situation like his, I would recommend externally ceramic coating (baked-on powder-coat style ceramic coating) as a method of permanently ending that issue, as well as removing the spectre of rust. It won't normally look as visually pretty as a chrome plate (not as lusterous, or as smooth), but it will protect indefinitely (until removed by grinding or other very hard impacts).
                  At least one company out there has figured out a way of including silver as a component in the coating to get a higher-shine (more chrome-like) look out of it; there are also suppliers that have colored variants (such as deep blue, etc). My headers have the powder-coating industry standard alumina-ceramic coating on them and are a silverish-gray color that is shinier than engine block metals but by not as shiney as the stainless OEM end-can (on the Kat, you don't see the headers unless you search for them anyway)...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Thanks just what i needed to hear

I think it's about time we got a new search button on KR, kind of like Googles "I'm Feeling Lucky" just with "Just Ask CP" instead

Comment

Working...
                  X