X

1st to 2nd "clank" sound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st to 2nd "clank" sound

I have been getting a pretty loud "clank" sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd (and sometimes 2nd to 3rd) on a '05 Kat 750. I bought the bike used and the previous owner did not take the best of care with it, I have slowly been bringing it back to life, which is almost complete.

I replaced the clutch disks & springs this past weekend which did make a big difference in the overall smoothness of shifting through the gears. But I still get the very audible "clank", occasionally. It does not happen every time, sometimes going from 1st to 2nd is as quiet as the higher gears.

Do post Kat's normally make various sounds when shifting or do I need to dive into the tranny? Or might it be something with the gear shift cam?
    Last edited by ChrisInTexas; 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM.
    "Emini's are the future"

Possibly the clutch is "dragging" slightly. You could try adjusting it and be sure to check the linkage behind the sprocket cover.
    Also, what oil are you using? Some, myself included, have noticed a difference using synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
      Possibly the clutch is "dragging" slightly. You could try adjusting it and be sure to check the linkage behind the sprocket cover.
      Also, what oil are you using? Some, myself included, have noticed a difference using synthetic.
      I have adjusted the clutch and feel it is fine. I did forget to mention that I have been using synthetic oil and have had concerns that may be the cause of the clank. Maybe I should change the oil to "real" oil, huh?
      "Emini's are the future"

Comment

too much slack in the chain can cause louder shifting.
        since you just replaced the clutch its very possible the clutch basket is damaged and the plates are hanging up in notches worn in the clutch basket fingers.

also slow shifting under little or no load on a bike can be very clicky and notchy, Thats why cars have syncros as the transmission will shift smoother accelerating. if your letting off and allowing the bike to slow slightly and up shifting up the oposite side of the engagment dogs can hang up and make the shifting harder. try shifting qickly and smoothly
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          too much slack in the chain can cause louder shifting.
          since you just replaced the clutch its very possible the clutch basket is damaged and the plates are hanging up in notches worn in the clutch basket fingers.

also slow shifting under little or no load on a bike can be very clicky and notchy, Thats why cars have syncros as the transmission will shift smoother accelerating. if your letting off and allowing the bike to slow slightly and up shifting up the oposite side of the engagment dogs can hang up and make the shifting harder. try shifting qickly and smoothly
          I'm afraid I didn't give enough information in my original post. The bike has had the clanking ever since I bought it, that was one of the reasons that I replaced the clutch, which was needed as the other one was worn out. But, I did an oil/filter change when I first acquired it and used Mobil 1.

I also recently put a new o-ring chain on the bike. I lubricate and check the slack after every ride. I think I'm good there.

I think I will drain the brand new synthetic oil that I just put in it and replace it with some standard oil. I honestly think that should be my next step. I will update this thread with the outcome.

Thanks for your input.
          "Emini's are the future"

Comment

As long as you are using JASO-MA oil, I don't think that would be the problem.

At least adjust and service your chain first.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Synthetic oil has nothing to do with it. I run Mobil 1 full syn all the time without issues. An erratic idle or out of sync carbs will effect the shifting though.

Comment

So many possibilities, hard to diagnose noises in person, much less on the interwebs.

Clutch worn out, how many miles on the bike? My Kat is over 60k and has just started showing signs of needing a clutch.

If you used an oil that didn't have friction modifiers, (Oils with friction modifiers are usually denoted with "Energy Conserving" on the bottle,) then you are probably ok. Motorcycle oil is better for motorcycles.

Kat's are prone to second gear issues, but it usually pops out, not just shifts loud.

Good luck with finding the cause.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Probably the normal sound, even my bike clunks into 2nd a bit.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Probably the normal sound, even my bike clunks into 2nd a bit.
                    Thanks, this is really what I wanted to know, to see if other Kat owners notice a noise going from 1st to 2nd. This is my first Kat and I am still learning about them. Awesome bike for the money.

Just for grins, I am going to replace the oil with a standard motorcycle oil to see if it helps. If it does fine...if it doesn't, I might tear it down and see what I can find. I have always wanted to tear down and put back together a 6-speed bike trans. I want to see what parts I have left over when I'm finished.
                    "Emini's are the future"

Comment

When I stop and put into neutral it always clunks goin into first. And I just changed the friction plates and springs

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw View Post
                        When I stop and put into neutral it always clunks goin into first. And I just changed the friction plates and springs
                        what can I say other than its normal? lol all my bike have clunked going into first
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah I kinda stopped worrying about it after I replaced the friction plates. Just figure its normal. Even tho sometimes it goes into first all smooth like

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
                            I have adjusted the clutch and feel it is fine. I did forget to mention that I have been using synthetic oil and have had concerns that may be the cause of the clank. Maybe I should change the oil to "real" oil, huh?
                            You can also call it call it "conventional oil". Maybe a higher viscosity oil like a 20W50 might help cushion the moving parts more.
                            '03 600 Kat
                            '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

i never had a "clunk" going into 2nd, the only "clunk" ive ever had is just the normal N to 1st. hope that helps
                              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                              2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                              X