No announcement yet.
X

God let it be an exhaust leak!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K, here are some pics of the bearings and crank... no major damage.

More pics here: http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Katana/crank/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BareKat; 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

There's some pretty decent wear on a few of those bearings. They arent down to the lead yet but that is still probably enough to cause an issue. Are all the rod pins tight?
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Yep, no real slop or play that I can detect... this motor has 45,000kms

Attached is a list of parts recommended by the shop that split the case for me.
        Attached Files
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

If I was doing the work, I would have wrote it up the same way. You may as well just rebuild the whole thing and not take any chances, instead of replacing just one worn piece.

The prices are a little high, but im sure they added in the typical 45% upcharge to make thir profit. Cant blame them for trying to make money. $1000 in labor seems a little far fetched. Thats about 15hrs in labor, should prolly be more like 10.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
            Yep, no real slop or play that I can detect... this motor has 45,000kms

Attached is a list of parts recommended by the shop that split the case for me.
            chances are you dont need new head bolts... I assume thats whay .bolt is...

as for the bearings you need to plasti-guage them. depending on clearance , you order the bearings you need. Different color/thickness for different clearances.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

What hardly said about the plasti-gauge, +1. Remember your picture at the beginning of this thread where you could see shiny copper flecs in the oil? That is bearing wear, they are made out of copper. Somewhere in that motor you have copper flaked off enough to make it knock. Remember to look at both side, and both halves of each bearing. The manual will tell you how to plasti-gage and read it.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Well to put a nice tidy bow on this who story, my replacement engine is working very well right now. It looks like the old engine will be stored for a parts motor.

woohoo... summer riding is almost here!
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                X