No announcement yet.
X

God let it be an exhaust leak!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I double checked the valve cover gasket as well as the gaskets around the spark plug hole after I adjusted the valves.

With respect to the mount... There are two at the front, two at the back and one on each side... d'ya think the one broken mount will cause me grief?

Rexazz, 10-4 on the stop leak...

Doubt it is a head gasket but could be possible

oil leaks downward and backwards (gravity and wind)
    Clean the area with brake clean and look after the motor has warmed up
    I thought I found the culprit but after looking at the cylinder head on my work bench I don't see any gasket missing (see pics). The oil seams to be leaking right around that area but the valve cover is dry.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
    remember there is an oil/water drain right below the exhaust pipes so if you have oil around the head gasket it could be a leak around the spark plug valve cover gasket, leaky plug or if you dumped any oil down the cylinders etc it can leak out this lil drain hole.
    clean it off really well and keep an eyey on it.
    I would honestly rebuild that motor mount before you put it all together.
    Aluminum welding rods can be had for $15 buck and will do the trick.
    do a searsh on youtube or aluminum welding rods. The tricky part is building the mold, but if you know someone with a mig welder you can make a mold easily then place the bolt in position and weld around it. when it cools the bolt will back out without any problems and you have a new mount already threaded (if you wish)
    this stuff is STRONG to.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BareKat; 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

the plug in the picture doesnt appear to have a sealing gasket
      and its right behind the frame
      I see you put some silicone where I said

chances are the broken mount wont be a problem and its not going to be worth it for you to return the engine
      It would always be in the back of my mind
      It is easier to fix now than after its all back togather
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I can't even torque that plug down because of the frame...
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Harbor Freight has the aluminum welding rods.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Now that is the coolest thing I've seen... very cool!

Aluminum welding rods can be had for $15 buck and will do the trick.
            do a searsh on youtube or aluminum welding rods.
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

just for chits and giggles i cut an old clutch lever in half, wraped a piece of shim stock around the cut and clamped it and welded the lever back together. I put it in the vice and went at it with the hammer. I broke the lever off about 2" above the weld. Its strong stuff. Ive repaired a lot of cases, pegs, stripped threads etc with them and never a problem. Like I said the hardest part is making a mold to hold the melted rod until it cools but new mounts can be made
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Guys, any recourse through paypal/ebay on the broken motor mount and leaks?

This is a quote from the ebay ad, "This motor off a running 1998 Suzuki Katana 750 is in excellent condition, 16K miles, ready to install fits all 98-01 Katana 750."

I wouldn't consider the motor with a broken motor mount to be in "excellent condition" and ready to install? ... although I did ultimately install and start the engine with the broken mount. I guess the concern is that the oil leak from the lower left may be associated with the damaged casing.
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I have not been following the thread TOO closely. But what are the chances that the damage happened in transit?
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

just for chits and giggles i cut an old clutch lever in half, wraped a piece of shim stock around the cut and clamped it and welded the lever back together. I put it in the vice and went at it with the hammer. I broke the lever off about 2" above the weld. Its strong stuff. Ive repaired a lot of cases, pegs, stripped threads etc with them and never a problem. Like I said the hardest part is making a mold to hold the melted rod until it cools but new mounts can be made
                    Out of curiosity, what sort of torch are you using for that? I had some of those rods given to me and was told that a propane torch is hot enough but I've also been told that you need at least MAPP gas/O2. I also had a welder at a boat shop griping about something I brought him (friend's intake manifold) because we had tried repairing it with the rods. He said it would have been better if we hadn't even tried that.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I suppose that could have happened. I'm in discussions with the seller now to return the engine to him... what a pain!

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      I have not been following the thread TOO closely. But what are the chances that the damage happened in transit?
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Out of curiosity, what sort of torch are you using for that? I had some of those rods given to me and was told that a propane torch is hot enough but I've also been told that you need at least MAPP gas/O2. I also had a welder at a boat shop griping about something I brought him (friend's intake manifold) because we had tried repairing it with the rods. He said it would have been better if we hadn't even tried that.
                        usually thats a good reason for them to charge you extra

the mini O2 tanks dont last very long and I have never been impressed with the map bottles on my soldering torch
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i use propane or butane torch. normally just propane. just be sure the consentrate the heat on the piece you welding to
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                            I suppose that could have happened. I'm in discussions with the seller now to return the engine to him... what a pain!
                            Finding a welder and getting the motor mount repaired might be easier... just saying....
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Understood but there is a leak in that same area and I'm concerned the bottom half of the casing is cracked. That'll be a someofabitch to find and fix.

I would rather deal with the engine removal and return rather than screwing around trying to have it repaired. If I wanted to screw around with the bottom end I'd just have the bearings in my engine repaired.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              Finding a welder and getting the motor mount repaired might be easier... just saying....
                              Last edited by BareKat; 12-07-2010, 03:52 PM.
                              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

or just drop this crank and rods into your old engine.

I would change the oil pump as well or at least inspect the one you had in your ol engine.. that could be done in an afternoon. just need a couple gaskets
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                                X