X

Test your Diagnosis Skillz.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test your Diagnosis Skillz.

Started fine, sounded like 3 cyclinders, felt like 3 cylinders upon accelerations. Rode around the neighborhood to listen to it. Sounded horrible.

Threw some water on the headers.....#1 didn't sizzle.

Pulled plug and replaced. Rode longer and farther with higher speeds.

Here's the tricky part. It still sounds crappy with crappy acceleration

BUT when my bike is running nice, it will do 70 mph in 6th gear at 6K rpm.

And is still will even with this problem.

Clogged 'lower' jets?

Replace the rider.... that should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
      Replace the rider.... that should help.
      normally that wouldn't be the answer but given the fact it is JP I have to agree
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

When you figure it out , let ME know . I've had the same problem for MONTHS .
        Rpms/speed seems fine , THAT wouldn't change . What WOULD change is accel , fuel milage effectively dumping gas through that cylinder) , and throttle response . You have problems , obviosly that one cylinder isn't firing for some reason . Could be plug wire , could be something in the carbs . Could be gremlins . I hate them little bastards .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Q: Is the plug sparking when it's out of the cylinder? Are you getting any after-fires or any back-fires?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Getting spark, no backfires, I'm thinking its in the carbs. Bike sat for a week before this fiasco.

I do have good fuel filter on there though, and right now I'm running some techron enhanced fuel to maybe clean something out, so I'll ride it some more today to see if it helps.

Comment

You know something I do not have fuel filter on my bike and I have never ran into problems. Could it be that your fuel filter is breaking down and small particles of the filter is getting thru and clogging up your carbs? Just a thought. Try not running one and see what happens. I have had my bike for 3 yrs now and no problems. I say that now so I guess I will have problems
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Dont jinx us Jimmy !!!

Comment

I should try it Jimmy, my filters are crap anyhow, they're the metal screen ones...

My only hesitation is that I can actually see some 'dirt' that they have caught inside..

hmmm.

Comment

Re: Test your Diagnosis Skillz.

Originally posted by kickitjp
                    Clogged 'lower' jets?
                    no. the idle jets are out of the circuit after 2-3k rpm's.

start it up & spray some wd-40 around the carb - looking for a vacuum leak. also around the carb boot ( both sides - filter & head )

pull the needle slide - look for any tears or holes.

after that you may be looking at a valve - out of adjustment or worse.

the above is based on the fact that you have a good spark.
                    ( swap coils & plug wires to see if the problem moves to another cylinder
                    would be a good start if your unsure )

tim

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Rpms/speed seems fine , THAT wouldn't change . What WOULD change is accel , fuel milage effectively dumping gas through that cylinder) , and throttle response . You have problems , obviosly that one cylinder isn't firing for some reason . Could be plug wire , could be something in the carbs . Could be gremlins . I hate them little bastards .
                      Understatement of the century

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                        Originally posted by md86
                        Understatement of the century

Comment

WOW does this sound familiar.... like my ride to the Gap this year after I got about 100 miles from home in the pouring rain. Keep her wound up and it runs, let it come down and it starts spitting and sputtering. Come to a stoplight and be terrified your walking the rest of the way.

Special K still hasn't told me what the exact problem is with mine but all indications so far are immulsion tubes are out of round, and the o-rings are shot. Might want to recheck your wires and coils too. I know you say your getting spark but that does not always mean your getting enough spark.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                            WOW does this sound familiar.... like my ride to the Gap this year after I got about 100 miles from home in the pouring rain. Keep her wound up and it runs, let it come down and it starts spitting and sputtering. Come to a stoplight and be terrified your walking the rest of the way.

Special K still hasn't told me what the exact problem is with mine but all indications so far are immulsion tubes are out of round, and the o-rings are shot. Might want to recheck your wires and coils too. I know you say your getting spark but that does not always mean your getting enough spark.
                            Oh yeah ? The tubes in my were shot , but I was still riding it . Apparently they had been for a while , too . Changed the tubes out , and I had to effectively start over with the jetting . Still struggling with it . Getting another set of carbs soon to start over . Screw this crap I've had it .
                            Yup , carbs are fun .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I will agree with everyone that it sounds like a fuel problem. Although, one thing to check out is the connections at the CDI. I had very very similar symptoms about a year ago. Pulled the CDI off and scraped all those blades clean as best I could with a flat screwdriver. Also scraped the plug to it as much as possible and put dielectric grease in the mix and plugged it all back together. TA DAAAA. 8)
                              '01 TL1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X