X

Problem shifting from 1st to 2nd and back down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem shifting from 1st to 2nd and back down

I just had a 7500 mile service but slightly before it I had a problem. The transmission would get stuck at times at first and freezes. This happens at stops or after a ride. The oil indicator is at "F". After a few minutes after the engine is off, I can shift again from N to 1st then 2nd. I have used lubricants to unfreeze the shift lever and but the clutch cable should have been lubed with the service.

Should I lube the clutch cable or what should I do? When I use the lubricate at the area of the shift lever, it gets smooth for sometime and then gets hard afterwards. I'm using some penetrant from Autozone that is suppose to be a rust inhibitor. Would WD-40 be better?. The dealers do not have any moly paste in stock - should I use that to lube the shifter? That area was replaced after a lowside accident on the left side but it shifted good for about 2000 miles. The repairs took 2 months and was not run during that time.

Well , to lube the shift lever , take it off (circlip pliers make that eaier , but little needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver will pop off the clip . Just watch where it flies, because it WILL)) , clean the shaft , put some grease on it (I keep high-temp bearing grease , works great for just about everything) , stick it back on there , and it should be fine for a LONG time . But having a hard time shifting sounds like a DIFFERENT problem altogether to me ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I don't know when you bought your bike (your profile says it's an '04), but if it's still under warrantee, get it to the dealership ASAP and have them remedy it.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my opinion, it sounds like the clutch was adjusted too tight and causing it to bind. I came to this by your discription of the problem but I am not there to really know. I think you should take it back to the shop that did the work last and have them fix it.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
        X