No announcement yet.
X

Bent Handlebar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nobody has used vortex bars with the stock clip ons?

Comment

Originally posted by rallygabe View Post
      7/8 chromoly tube...paint...end caps from your old bars.
      Is this something you've done?

nobody on the vortex eh?

Comment

well went to two metal suppliers, didnt' have 7/8 tube anywhere... ordered a set of vortex replacement bars and progrips, hopefully will fit with little work

Comment

Originally posted by coolasice View Post
          Is this something you've done?
          No, but could do on a days notice. I'm pretty sure I have a couple feet ot 7/8 tube lying around.

Comment

wow, what kind of metal suppliers were they? cause ones where I moved from would have literally thousands of feet of that in stock, in mildsteel, 4130 or stainless, you pick. now if by metal supplier you mean home depot, probably not. even the one in this craphole midwest town has some.

Comment

"aroostook steel" and "Haines Mfg Co" are the only ones around for 100mi

Comment

i snapped one a few weeks ago. i used hardware store pipe of similar diameter. it is a millimeter or so too small on outside diameter... works for now but ill need to get a proper one or figure out somethin this winter. i paid under $5 for the pipe. filed a groove for the one bolt that keeps it from twisting and clamped everything back on.

Comment

i looked everywhere for a similar pipe, closest thing is a solid 7/8 bar

Comment

mine was actually in the one inch plumbing section... the 1" black pipe (not galvanized) was all 7/8 outside diameter at my hardware store. dunno if it was mislabeled or if thats normal. like i said it doesnt fit perfect, just a lil wiggle room. i bet if i took it off and painted it would be about right tho.

Comment

i wouldn't want to use the black pipe, more likely to snap off then to just bend

Comment

only if you wreck, it is not going to just snap of going the road, you could do handstands on black iron pipe of that size with no problems. I just checked, well yesterday actually, and found 7/8 tube here of three different wall thickness. and checked online with metaldepot and found the same. a two foot piece will cost you all of $7 from there, and it is the right material like the original.

Comment

i ordered vortex bars and new grips anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X