No announcement yet.
X

Bent Handlebar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah you measure the diameter of the pipe and how thick it is and buy a pipe to match
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

what about the indentations on the bar where the bolt fits?

Comment

copy them over to the new pipe....... although i dont think that i have holes for bolts on mine
        The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

not holes, but the stock ones have notches for the bolt that clamp them in place. and a hole for the index pin on control pods. all easy enough to make with an angle grinder and cordless drill.
          or just strighten the one you have. you would be amazed with a little time and effort how straight you can get it, i bet less than .010 runout without much work.
          do a google search on old time metal working methods, like around steam era and start of oil drilling. lots ot be learned about making do with very little in tooling and getting alot out of what you got.

Comment

what i would do is take the bar off and all the attachments take a torch to it and straighten or just use a bar and a vice and muscle it straight

Comment

Stopped by the local salvage and picked one up

Comment

my local salvage is 150mi away.....

Comment

I wouldnt straighten a bar because it compromises the integrity of it. If you fall on it again it might just snap. I rode my bike with a bent handlebar and it caused me to lay my bike down because i couldnt make a proper turn. I would pay $51 for safety and to not have a seperated shoulder. Just sayin. Keep an eye on ebay, call your nearest salvage yard(maybe they can ship it to you reasonably) and if all else... buy a new one.
                  Last edited by kitkatman; 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

the bars are mild steel, straightening is not going to compromise it enough to cause a failure during riding. now if we talking about folding it in half and then straightening, maybe. but that would be beyond what most would do.
                    there is no heat involved in the method i use. and its been done for years, in applications way more stressful than bike bars.

Comment

Get a new one, my right bar bent at the clamp from a fall and ended up snapping on me (hard wheelie landing)
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

dieselguy...whats your method?

nevermind...found it
                        Last edited by coolasice; 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

hat diameter are the stock pre 750 bars?

Comment

Can someone measure the diameter and thickness of the stock bars?

Comment

7/8 chromoly tube...paint...end caps from your old bars.

Comment

i need to grind a bit out of them to fit the bolt on the clamp.... and what end caps are you referring to? bar ends won't bolt up without the welded in "nut". still floating ideas in my head... something to work on this winter.. that and doing a teardown on the carbs....

on a side note... has anyone used vortex replacement bars in lieu of the original bars while keeping stock clipons?
                                Last edited by coolasice; 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X