X

post igniter on pre?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post igniter on pre?

okay, there appears to be no knowledge available on this according to the search.

Has anybody tried or succeeded in useing a post- CDI/igniter on a pre- 750? The post boxes are sometimes cheaper so I am just curious if they function the same. The plugs look different but that is not a big deal to me.

thoughts?

Originally posted by rallygabe View Post
    okay, there appears to be no knowledge available on this according to the search.

Has anybody tried or succeeded in useing a post- CDI/igniter on a pre- 750? The post boxes are sometimes cheaper so I am just curious if they function the same. The plugs look different but that is not a big deal to me.

thoughts?

It will work (meaning the bike will run) but it may not have the same plugs, it definately does not have the same ignition curve, and the rev limit will be about 2k rpms lower.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I knw this is a slightly different question, but is a gsxr box of similar year compatable? They look similar but I am unsure how different the two are?(yet!)

Comment

Is this worth the effort to save a couple of bucks?
        The difference in price can't be that much.
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
        Black painted seat and rear trim,
        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I believe the post models may have an anti-theft feature in the ignition switch as well, so there may be some specific resistance that needs to be shown across two of the wires from the ignition box in order for it to work. I haven't done this personally, but I remember reading something about it on here..... though I'm not sure that the anti-theft thing actually takes place within the ignition box or if it is a separate module or something. Either way, I'd personally just spring for the correct box.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well I would love to get the correct box but I don't feel like spending $150+ on one right now. I am also working on building a tester now that I have the old box apart. I'm sure some people would be happy to have their box tested rather than spend $150 as well, not to mention there are a limited number of boxes out there these days.

As a side note- if anybody has a blown CDI/Igniter laying around that they would like to donate to science, please PM or email me. It would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rallygabe View Post
              Well I would love to get the correct box but I don't feel like spending $150+ on one right now. I am also working on building a tester now that I have the old box apart. I'm sure some people would be happy to have their box tested rather than spend $150 as well, not to mention there are a limited number of boxes out there these days.

As a side note- if anybody has a blown CDI/Igniter laying around that they would like to donate to science, please PM or email me. It would be appreciated. Thanks!
              If you can only find them for $150+ right now, then it's just a dry spell. I've picked them up for $30 or so before.... they really aren't that in demand.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

$30 would be unreal for a box. My independent shop is thinking that a new one is going to be in the hundreds. I'd love to find a known good used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchard View Post
                  $30 would be unreal for a box. My independent shop is thinking that a new one is going to be in the hundreds. I'd love to find a known good used one.
                  What kind you looking for?
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Dudes, I've sold a lot of those CDI boxes. For and average of $25 + shipping. Your eBay search skills are lacking.

Comment

Working...
                    X