X

Rev limit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev limit

I keep hiting the rev limiter I do like to ride fast and love racing around. Are the 750 motors built to take this kinda of abuse or I'm pushing my luck every time it happens?
    2003 Katana 750F
    1986 VFR 700F

I would say its bad, if you hit it all the time, over a period of time, it will/or could cause excessive valve wear and possible valve failure. Other components could fail over time also. I'm not a guru, but I'm guessing the rev limiter is there to minimize stress on the engine.

Comment

I hit mine once. I won't do it again, I didn't like the way it felt. I thought I was killing the poor thing. Like 10k is probably enough to get the up shift in the bottom of the power band if you know what I mean.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
        I hit mine once. I won't do it again, I didn't like the way it felt. I thought I was killing the poor thing. Like 10k is probably enough to get the up shift in the bottom of the power band if you know what I mean.
        True. i usually never ride mine over 10K
        "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
          I totally agree with you and I'm not hitimg the rev limiter because I think it's fun. I just find myself running out of power to soon.
          2003 Katana 750F
          1986 VFR 700F

Comment

You shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter often at all...... if nothing else, it makes you slower. The engines will take a LOT of hard running, but I don't know what qualifies as "abuse" to you.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i hit mine in second and third all the time. like on a daily basis. that redline is up there for a reason. use it has always been my motto. then again I have always cruised in a gear lower than most. I dont think the engine if happy below 8K to be honest.

Comment

Im with LL, theres not point to hit the rev limited. After about 8.5k you're falling off your power band. My 750 I shifted hardcore around 8k and it would just about break traction. You need to shift at your power band, not past it. The only time you should be hitting the rev limiter is in 6th gear, and if you are doing on the street you're an idiot.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Maybe its just time for you to move up to a bigger bike or do a engine swap in the Kat if yor running out of power too soon.

Comment

Hrm... odd.. my power has always been 8-11k.... not under...

Hitting the rev limiter isn't a problem... staying on it at the limiter doesnt' really help you go faster, obviously... so shift.

The whole point of the limiter is to stop the rpms BEFORE it becomes a problem guys... not after.

Optimally you should learn to shift just prior to hitting that point, but it's not going to kill your motor or shorten it's life any more than not hitting it and running 10-11k rpms regularly.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My pre 750 pulls hard ALL the way to redline. Wonder if it has to do with the dot head?
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

my post 750 pulls hard all the way, but at around 500rpm before redline you lose power, i shift right around 10.5k
                        03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                        04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                        08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                        10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                        05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

damn....maybe I'm not riding mine right.....I usually shift at 4-5,000 rpms.

Don't think I've ever gone over 8.5k....and that was on the freeway hitting 125mph.
                          The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

your at peak power before the limiter stay off of it!

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I would reccomend learning how to shift, instead of just smacking the limiter every time.

Seriously, that's sofa king we todd ed.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X