X

Why do my idle jets keep gumming up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do my idle jets keep gumming up?

They get a white-ish looking film around the orifice, looks like elmers glue! On one, I good barely blow through it thne phew- blew it out. Is there something made of plastic in the carbs that is dissolving?

That sounds like aluminum oxidation, what did you use to clean them with?
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Fuel mixtures... there is a white/beigeish residue left over in the carbs from running fuel mixtures that include ethanol. It's especially bad around the slides if you pull them.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Fuel mixtures... there is a white/beigeish residue left over in the carbs from running fuel mixtures that include ethanol. It's especially bad around the slides if you pull them.

Krey
        Is there anything I can do to reduce it? Any additives that might help?

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
          Is there anything I can do to reduce it? Any additives that might help?

Find fuel sources for less/non mixtured fuel.

I don't know of any additives that will resolve this issue alone... cleaners can help to prevent buildup from clogging things for fuel flow if used regularly, but I don't think it will prevent it from happening.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Find fuel sources for less/non mixtured fuel.

Krey

Krey, Have you found a brand with no or less than 10% ethanol?
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
            Black painted seat and rear trim,
            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
              Krey, Have you found a brand with no or less than 10% ethanol?

It will vary state to state. I have not found a good source myself in NC, but I know that gas here may have less than say... TN... where I've noticed a significan't difference in the gas from there in comparison.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

mixing in a little seafoam my help
                -
                -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                  mixing in a little seafoam my help
                  Seafoam is 30% alcohol.all the gas in my area is the same so I am screwed

Comment

Nope, it's a pet alcohol mixture. Pet alcohol and pet ether are really good hydrocarbon solvents (I use something similar all the time to clean the injection needles on our GC-MS).
                    It's different from the 10% ethanol additive that you may be referring to.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I read one time that adding acetone to gasoline will improve gas milage (results vary/2 ounces per gallon I think?). But, I also read that the gasoline has to be ethonol free for it to work properly. Therefore, I asked a gasoline truck driver if he knew of any stations that have a Non-ethonoyl mixtures. He told me of one gas station about 20 miles from me. He also said that the company he works for uses a Non-ethonoyl mixture for pumps/tanks that have water in the tank under ground. He said this one paticualr tank has about one inch of water in the bottom of the tank.
                      So, if you know or see a driver at the pumps one day just go ask if he can tell you where to find non-ethenoyl gas.

DID I SPELL ETHENOYL RITE??
                      Last edited by katanarider; 06-25-2010, 01:58 AM.
                      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                        He said this one paticualr tank has about one inch of water in the bottom of the tank.
                        So, if you know or see a driver at the pumps one day just go ask if he can tell you where to find non-ethenoyl gas.

DID I SPELL ETHENOYL RITE??
                        I'm in the industry. Drivers don't know sh!t.

1. It's quite easy to remove the water from the tank.
                        2. The pick up tubes for the pumps are typically 6" off of the tank bottom, to prevent the suction of all the crap that is eventually found in the tank sump.
                        93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

It will vary state to state. I have not found a good source myself in NC, but I know that gas here may have less than say... TN... where I've noticed a significan't difference in the gas from there in comparison.

Krey
                          I actually have been looking and the best I find in NY seems to be 10%
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                          Black painted seat and rear trim,
                          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I dont want to look like I'm talking $#!T here (well maybe alittle) but I just got home from work , its 3:51 in the mourning, and on my way I seen a tanker at the filling station so guess what I did? Well boys and girls, I ask the driver if he knew any local gas stations with non-ethanol pumps. Boy oh boy, if you live in the Raleigh area I have a surprise for you ! Not only did he tell me about several pumps fairly close by but he also said the exact same reason for doing so is water in the tanks. Then he said the gas station is allowed up to 2 inches of water before its called in to the authorities for servicing. Then he said that sometimes the station will advertise on a sign that they serve ethanol free gasoline. Reason is mixxing ethanol gas with water gasoline can cause a dangerous mixture for your engine.
                            Oh I mentioned this thread to him and my new friend says he's driving a truck to pay his way thru Veterinarian school.
                            Thats all I have for ya .
                            Have a good one
                            Last edited by katanarider; 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM.
                            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
                            X