X

Center stand or Pitbull ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center stand or Pitbull ?

Hello, I have a 96 Kat 600cc. I need to service my chain and I thought it would be a good idea to install the center stand. However, my bike is lowered with a post98 rear wheel and hugger (if that matters?) and I weigh 250 lbs. Will I have clearance issues?
    I like the fact that if I break down or something on the highway I can service it on the spot if needed. But I have no idea why the previous owner took the thing off ?
    Does anyone have pictures of a Pre98, lowered with a center stand ?
    THANKS !
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

If the rear is lowered, then the centerstand would need to be modified to work.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The center stand on the pre 98 600s was an option from the factory. The original owner may not have opted to get one, as was the case with mine. People get rid of it because its a huge weight savings to dump it.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It looks like it may have had a center stand because there are holes that look slightly rusted as if a bolt was thru it.
        Also, Does the center stand allow the removal of the swing arm and still be balanced?
        Next, if I did choose the center stand do I have to remove the exhaust to install it ?
        Last, what type of modification is required because its lowered? Is it much more than just chopping the feet to fit the height? I dont know if the swingarm will drop to far or not once its on the stand? I can tell you that my hugger and the stock undertail fender are very close together rite at the shock area. Thats why I said I have a hugger. If the swingarm drops will it flex my hugger?
        P.S.
        I love you guys

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
          It looks like it may have had a center stand because there are holes that look slightly rusted as if a bolt was thru it.
          Also, Does the center stand allow the removal of the swing arm and still be balanced?
          Next, if I did choose the center stand do I have to remove the exhaust to install it ?
          Last, what type of modification is required because its lowered? Is it much more than just chopping the feet to fit the height? I dont know if the swingarm will drop to far or not once its on the stand? I can tell you that my hugger and the stock undertail fender are very close together rite at the shock area. Thats why I said I have a hugger. If the swingarm drops will it flex my hugger?
          P.S.
          I love you guys
          The bike normally is supported by the centerstand and front tire... so you would be able to remove the rear wheel/swingarm on the centerstand if your careful and not push it off/over.

Modification would be adjusting the pegs of the centerstand so that you can get it on. You need to have plates on the bottom, so just cutting them off won't work... otherwise they will just poke into the ground.

The centerstand should have no effect on your swingarm or hugger. You should be able to install one without having to mess with the exhaust, but that depends on the exhaust you have.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well... Center stand it is !
            Anyone looking to sell one with all the hardware I will need ( springs and bolts) ?

Private message me if so .

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              The bike normally is supported by the centerstand and front tire... so you would be able to remove the rear wheel/swingarm on the centerstand if your careful and not push it off/over.

Modification would be adjusting the pegs of the centerstand so that you can get it on. You need to have plates on the bottom, so just cutting them off won't work... otherwise they will just poke into the ground.

The centerstand should have no effect on your swingarm or hugger. You should be able to install one without having to mess with the exhaust, but that depends on the exhaust you have.

Krey

Wait a minute. I must have been in too big of a hurry before work? I just got home from work and re-read the replies.
              I have factory dual exhaust. Will I be able to install the center stand without removeing those?
              And when you say modifiying the pegs, do you mean just the feet that touch the ground or some other pegs? Forgive me if that is alittle weird but I dont have a center stand therefore I'm not exactly sure what it looks like. I searched ebay earlier but only Post98s were present.
              I would still like to see a picture of one mounted on a bike, LOWERED if possible for that matter.

Comment

Just to catch everyone up. I bought the Harbor Freight swingarm stand.

Reason, because I think I need to drop my exhaust to install the center stand since I have stock dual exhaust on my Pre. Plus the price is awesome.
                Well here is my review of the Harbor Freight stand. It works but just barely. The swingarm holder's adjustable slides are so tight the exhaust is literally sitting on them. I had to completely remove the hand bolts that keep the adjusters from sliding or else it would not work period !
                Also, the plates the swingarm sits on rub the sprocket bolts slightly at first until the rubber protective lining came off. Be aware of manufacters tolerances because one stand to another my effect if it works or not.
                Last edited by katanarider; 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                  Just to catch everyone up. I bought the Harbor Freight swingarm stand.

Reason, because I think I need to drop my exhaust to install the center stand since I have stock dual exhaust on my Pre. Plus the price is awesome.
                  Well here is my review of the Harbor Freight stand. It works but just barely. The swingarm holder's adjustable slides are so tight the exhaust is literally sitting on them. I had to completely remove the hand bolts that keep the adjusters from sliding or else it would not work period !
                  Also, the plates the swingarm sits on rub the sprocket bolts slightly at first until the rubber protective lining came off. Be aware of manufacters tolerances because one stand to another my effect if it works or not.
                  :dito

You have to be JUST right on the swingarm to get this to work, or you can lop off the little lip on the inside of each of the holders.
                  sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                  '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                  '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

I just bought one of these...but for my superchicken not my Kat (have a centerstand on my kat). I haven't tried it yet, but it was $10 cheaper in the store and there is an option to buy a spool conversion kit pretty cheap, I think $5 per spool.
                    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

For anyone who ever may read this thread.
                      Today I found out the Harbour Frieght swingarm stand can work better than first thought. The more I've had to work on my bike I've come to realize you have to flip the stands mounting plates upside down or down side up, which ever way you want to say it.
                      I only paid about $30 for mine. Cant remember if it was on sale or not but definitely worth it since the Kats dont have spools anyway.

Rock on !

Comment

Working...
                      X