X

Chain loose back sprocked worned

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain loose back sprocked worned

I notice my chain was still loose after I tightened it, it seems really loose now..proly about 2 inches. My back sprocked also seems a little worn out. Could this be the problem? Is anything at risk with me riding around like that? What is the process in changin the sprocket and the chain?

If you can see visible wear on the chain or sprocket change them both asap. You will probably want to also change the front sproket since it will be definately worn if the back one shows wear (unless it was recently changed). A good rule of thumb is change them all at once (front, rear sproket & chain) since one worn part will cause a newly replaced part to wear more rapidly than if all parts were new. You might also want to consider changing the sprocket sizes to change the gear ratios if you want more low-end power install a larger rear sprocket (which will cost you on the top speed) or get a smaller rear for good higway crusing/high top speed, but a lower accel off the line. Think of it like your multi-speed bicycle; pick what you want for you--higher top speed or wheelie power?

I've never had to perform a sproket change yet, but I will soon. I've had the rear end apart several times, and it's really a simple job if you're at all mechanically inclined -- you should definitely pick up the clymer manual. It's worth it's weight in gold, and you'll learn a lot about your bike in no time. Plus you get the satisfaction of repairing your own bike and saving $$ at the same time.

And if your chain is 'stretched' it will eventually fail and break, leaving you stranded wherever and potentially causing a wipeout or other more serious damage to the engine or other components as the chain snaps off and whips off the bike. .... or it might just fall off, but you'll still be stranded. A heavy bike is no fun to try to push home....especially if you could have replaced a part that needs to be replaced anyway.

Comment

So where would be the best place to get a new sprocket and chain? The dealer in my area always seems overpriced

Comment

I would suggest visiting BikeBandit.com, which usually has a very good price on Vortex brand combination kits (front + rear sprockets & chain all as one kit, specifically by make/model).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I actually took a look at their kits they seem to have the same sprockets but different chains in each kit, the GB530XSO-118 and the 530XSO-118
          im guessing the first one would be best?

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            I actually took a look at their kits they seem to have the same sprockets but different chains in each kit, the GB530XSO-118 and the 530XSO-118
            im guessing the first one would be best?
            No difference except the side-plate color. Same strength, same construction.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X