X

Gunk in my Drain Tube!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunk in my Drain Tube!

So, I was putting my bike together enough after a valve adjustment in order to do a carb sync, and I happened to remember that one should unplug the airbox drain tube every once in a while. Seeing as I haven't done so yet, I unplugged it... and nothing came out.

Expecting something to drain, I looked in the hose to see a big gob of rusty gunk in there clogging it up!

I squeezed the tube to try to push some of it out, and poked a small screw driver in there to jostle things up, but I think it's still clogged. Would it be OK to blow the opposite end with an air compressor to clean it out?

Is this a sign of a problem?

Thanks!
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Normally, it should contain nothing but liquids, since the only way things get in there are to move from the engine to the airbox under vaccum as a vapor. These liquids can be very thick over time...

Meanwhile, it's nothing more than a rubber tube. You can disconnect it at the airbox and blow it out, wash it out, replace it, etc. with no issues. Just make sure that whatever you do, it (or it's replacement) is plugged when you go start the engine again.

Since you say you found rust, you may want to check your air filter -- it has a metal screen that might have rusted if exposed to too much water at some point (?)

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks, CP!

I plan on replacing the air filter and inline fuel filter when I'm all done, so I'll check it out then.
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
      X