X

Anybody using a Vortex fuel cap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody using a Vortex fuel cap

Is anybody on here using a Vortex fuel cap?
    I need a new one, mine is broke and doesn't seal. I found a Vortex one for $100 shipped with the base and cap.
    Any reviews of the cap?

Try doing a search up near the top. Im sure there has been some threads there !!
    sigpic

Comment

I did, it didn't bring anything up about gas caps

Comment

OK hang on.......Im sure tommorrow there will be some answers around here !

Did a search too and nothing............Everybody is probably asleep or close to it..............hang in there.
        Last edited by Kat96; 02-22-2010, 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic

Comment

Never used one on a kat, but a friend of mine had one on his F3..... looked nice, and worked well. He had a problem with it not venting, though, and starving the bike for fuel after long high speed runs. With the OEM cap it was fine. This may have been a fluke, or they may have changed the design... I dunno. I only had this one experience with them.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Vortex has no vent holes... so you have issues with fuel starvation if not accounted for.

I recomened...

www.carbkitcapital.com

http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_...i&model=GSX750 for a OEM type replacement. $52.65 and comes with 2 keys.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The cap shouldn't need to be vented, as the tank should be vented..

I think HS2020 has one..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                The cap shouldn't need to be vented, as the tank should be vented..

I think HS2020 has one..

NON CA Kat tank isn't vented... the air normalizing vent is in the cap.

Check the threads on cleaning/rebuilding the cap. There is mention of the ball and spring that is used to preven fuel from coming out the vent when the bike tips over, but allows for pressure to normalize still.

CA models have the fume vent that is supposed to be route fumes into the carbs/airbox as part of the emissions aspect but allot of times that gets plugged off when the CA emmisions stuff is removed.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cap isn't vented! the tube that runs thru the tank is for water so it won't get in the gas.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                    Cap isn't vented! the tube that runs thru the tank is for water so it won't get in the gas.
                    Not what I'm talking about, but that response was a bit cryptic so I don't know who your responding too...

If you open the stock gas gap, on the side of the actual cap, you will see a very small hole... this are the vent hole to prevent pressure build up and normalization of the pressure in the tank.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Krey
                    Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM.
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I have a vortex cap sitting around here someplace. I used it for a while but had venting problems so I just replaced it with oem.
                      Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

the newer ones do have vents and a set screw!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          Not what I'm talking about, but that response was a bit cryptic so I don't know who your responding too...

If you open the stock gas gap, on the side of the actual cap, you will see a very small hole... this are the vent hole to prevent pressure build up and normalization of the pressure in the tank.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Krey
                          Yeah but there is still a tube leading from the top of the tank to the bottom. For pressure equalization.
                          Not the water drain. I know because I taped it up to paint the tank, forgot to remove the tape and the pressure built up once I got the tank in the sun. made a mess cause the tank was filled with gas. Stuff shot 5 feet once I yanked the fuel line off the tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                            Yeah but there is still a tube leading from the top of the tank to the bottom. For pressure equalization.
                            Not the water drain. I know because I taped it up to paint the tank, forgot to remove the tape and the pressure built up once I got the tank in the sun. made a mess cause the tank was filled with gas. Stuff shot 5 feet once I yanked the fuel line off the tap.
                            Only on the CA models... tube out the bottom is curved for that tank. It's supposed to be hooked to the emissions stuff.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I do not have any tubes for venting on my tank. I have the Vortex gas cap on my bike right now. Pressure does build up a little but nothing to worry about. There is a little 3mm allen head screw in the base that you adjust for venting. You could drill a hole in the cap right above that screw to allow the tank to vent a little more.
                              Last edited by HS2020; 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM.
                              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                              X