X

My chain is pooched

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My chain is pooched

Pooched? Thats what the mechanic told me. In other words its fudged, toast, kaput, done like dinner.

I ordered a new sprocket and chain from California - its gonna take a couple of weeks to get to me here in Canada...my question is....HOW dangerous is it to ride on a chain that has a tight spot? I know its probably not "advisable" but can I get away with putting to work 15 minutes away by expressway?

I can get a ride with Sambuca to work but that means 2 hours less sleep and thats not a good thing for me. I hate getting out of my bed
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Keep a very close eye on it, clean and lube constantly, remember to adjust the slack in the chain at the tight spot other wise it'll be to tight .

How much do you have left on your adjusters before your maxxed out?

How are they shipping the chain? USPS Global express or regular USPS?
    Kyle

Comment

Last week when I put on the new rear tire; I think the guy tightened my chain way too much. Its really tight...I can feel the tight spot when I ride now.

I'll check the adjuster.

Woob : The shipper said:

Mon or Tues via USPS airmail. It will be to you in 1-2 weeks. Thank you - Zac

Comment

Leave the chain as slack as permissable under factory specs, which should be 1.2" of free play (.6" up + .6" down). This should relieve enough stress that it won't snap unexpectedly in the next couple a weeks as long as you stay off the high-torque maneuvers on the throttle and keep it lubed to all get-out... Better to have it skip a tooth occassionally than snap even once.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X