No announcement yet.
X

Crazy muffler idea.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking more along the lines of a flomaster 40 with dual 4.5" tips.

I like the idea of the led afterburner tip though.

I would just like my rice bike to impress the ricer racers out there!

Duct tape would work better than the campbell's can?

Comment

dont understand why, but it can be done, why not spend a few more and get a bike pipe from ebay.

and ive seen bike exhausts on cars before, nasty nasty nasty
      -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

In a bit more serious mood:

The real issue is that car exhausts are not tuned to motorcycle exhaust needs. A proper exhaust is both pulse-tuned and pressure-tuned for a specific size of and frequency of detonation. As you might imagine, 149cc's (one cylinder of a 4-cylinder 600cc bike) banging off 80 times a second is quite a bit different than 500cc's (one cylinder of a typical 2-liter car engine) banging off 30 times a second.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, I'm planning on using car mufflers to replace the stock cans on my kat (those were drilled/murdered by the previous owner) while I can afford a real exhaust.

Here motorcycle exhausts, even used, are pretty expensive, so in the meantime car mufflers will have to do.

By the way, they don't sound THAT bad, and arent as loud as a D&D pipe.
          Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

I have a 98+ exhaust for sale, if you want it.
            $40 for the mid-pipe & can, or $90 for the header, mid-pipe and can.
            Not much more than a car exhaust...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Is that +98 exhaust in good shape??? Also, is it for a 750 or a 600??? Mine is a 750, if it is for a 750, I want the header, midpipe and can!!!

Hopefull shipping won't be as bad as with a pre 98 exhaust, as those can't be disassembled, so they take a HUGE box!

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of a flomaster 40 with dual 4.5" tips
                Did you know that Flowmaster actually made slip ons for bikes? Don't know if they still do or not...

Comment

It's in superb shape (no rust, no rash), but it's officially for a 98+ 600... The mid-pipe is the same size; the outlet at the tail end is about 0.4 mm smaller and there may be differences inside that I am unaware of. I put a 750 end-to-end exhaust I bought off someone at KP on there after getting the 750 headers jet-coated...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
                  Is that +98 exhaust in good shape??? Also, is it for a 750 or a 600??? Mine is a 750, if it is for a 750, I want the header, midpipe and can!!!

Hopefull shipping won't be as bad as with a pre 98 exhaust, as those can't be disassembled, so they take a HUGE box!
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey leave the poor guy alone.

I'm still looking into putting dual FlowMasters on MY bike!

Damn you Z.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      It's in superb shape (no rust, no rash), but it's officially for a 98+ 600... The mid-pipe is the same size; the outlet at the tail end is about 0.4 mm smaller and there may be differences inside that I am unaware of. I put a 750 end-to-end exhaust I bought off someone at KP on there after getting the 750 headers jet-coated...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Well, basically what I really care about is the header itself and the midpipe, as the muffler would be replaced down the road.

Is the header the same or a little bit smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
                        Well, basically what I really care about is the header itself and the midpipe, as the muffler would be replaced down the road.

Is the header the same or a little bit smaller?
                        The header is 23% smaller on the 600's -- before the weld seams are ground out. Once the weld seams are ground out, it's a hair bigger than the size as the 750 header when the 750 header still has the original weld seams in it. For racing purposes, I'd tell you to skip on it -- you'll get more bottom-end torque, but the top end would suffer with the different constriction. What you want is an aftermarket header that flows more than even the stock one after grinding out the weld seams.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So you think I'll be better with a V&H SSR2 full system??? Thats basically the only one I've found for my bike that fits my budget (and thats a big stretch of my budget )

I don't want something obnoxiously (sp?) loud, as a D&D (they also make another full system), thats why I think that my best shot would be the V&H or go with a 98+ header + midpipe + slipon.

Comment

IMHO, it depends. If you are racing and your ultimate goal is raw speed, go with the V&H if you can afford it (or a full Hindle system). If day-to-day reliability is your primary concern, stick with a 750 header, take a dremel to the weld seams just inside the exhaust ports of the header and grind them down, and stick with that.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, I do want more power...

(Who doesnt?)

Reliability? Well, it is relative, if I wanted ultimate reliability I wouldnt have a 14 year old bike

I'm thinking of a full system because:

a) The PO drilled the mufflers, so they sound horrible.
                              b) The cost of new cans, even the cheapest unknown brand, is about $400-$450 And that is for non-katana specific cans, that would have to be adapted to the bike.
                              c) For the same amount of money I can get a katana specific full system.

So even if I get two cans, I would end up paying more or less the same as for a full system, so why not go with the full system?

Comment

Working...
                              X