X

rotation of crankshaft for valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get the tensioner with spring to lock in place. what do i do? thx

btw i did not take it all the way apart. i just unscrewed the two allen bolts and pulled the tensioner as a whole. now trying to hold the ratchet and push it in, but won't lock down. is it suppose to?

i got it
    well, it was harder to remove the bolt without being on the bike, but, i guess to lock in place need to remove the spring. then lock in place. install back on bike, then put the spring back in and make sure that i hear the spring go back in. thx tone
    Last edited by JasonX; 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by JasonX View Post

i got it
      well, it was harder to remove the bolt without being on the bike, but, i guess to lock in place need to remove the spring. then lock in place. install back on bike, then put the spring back in and make sure that i hear the spring go back in. thx tone
      Thats the one mate you should now have correct chain tension
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

BAD LUCK!!
        when I was tightening the tensioner I put too much torque and snapped it. I gotta new one, but it's the manual kind, where I have to screw it in myself. It says once I feel the chain or what not on the screw, to stop and turn it back a 3/4 turn. I didn't feel anything, instead just turned it until i no longer could turn it by hand. I did not overtighten it. Is this correct?

Also, if it's too loose would it effect the starting of the bike?
        I couldn't start it since I had the bike apart a few weeks, wondering if it had anything to do with it. Maybe I'll just have to look at my fuel lines and make sure they are correct.

Thx

Comment

???

Comment

Never used a manual tensioner on a Kat engine, so I can't comment

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Never used a manual tensioner on a Kat engine, so I can't comment

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Same here
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by JasonX View Post
                BAD LUCK!!
                when I was tightening the tensioner I put too much torque and snapped it. I gotta new one, but it's the manual kind, where I have to screw it in myself. It says once I feel the chain or what not on the screw, to stop and turn it back a 3/4 turn. I didn't feel anything, instead just turned it until i no longer could turn it by hand. I did not overtighten it. Is this correct?

Also, if it's too loose would it effect the starting of the bike?
                I couldn't start it since I had the bike apart a few weeks, wondering if it had anything to do with it. Maybe I'll just have to look at my fuel lines and make sure they are correct.

Thx
                You turn in till you feel resistance and then back off a small bit. Overtightening is worse than being too loose. If it's too tight you will hear a whine from the cam chain.

Yes, too tight can screw things up in a hurry. Turning it in until you can't turn anymore certainly sounds too tight to me, but again I've never used a manual CCT on a Katana either, thats just my experience with my Ninja.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i turned it all the way, but by hand only. hope that's not too much.

Comment

If you can turn it in all the way, something is wrong... either the wrong adjuster for that particular engine, missing a button in the front of the assembly, or the chain is stretched beyond it's limits (last one is easy enough to check -- see the service manual for measuring the length between a certain number of pins to determine it).

Good luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X