No announcement yet.
X

starting bike after jet kit install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you have an issue with your throttle cable. Make sure there is enough free play.
    Check to make sure they butterflies are not stuck wide open.

Buc
    it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

so to check the butterflies, do I need to pull the carbs off again? (sorry, I'm a little new to wrenching on my own bike)

Comment

Just need to move whatever's in the way so you can look down their throats (airbox or take them off the engine and look in that side , take your pic) .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ok so I tore the carbs and airbox off, and they'll all look fine, the butterflies were closed, they opened and closed when I rolled the throttle, so they're ok, the choke cable looked good, wasn't stuck open or anything, and it moved freely as well, opened and closed fine.. so any ideas? if the cable between the idle screw and carbs is broke, will it redline? I'm stumped again...about ready to call the dealership : (

guess I'm back to the idle screw problem, where should it be? and can somebody please tell me if I was right when I turned in the whole way in to the right clockwise(lowering the idle).. is the right way to lower the idle? I thought it was, whenever I did that after it redlined the first time I turned it the whole way down to the right and it still redlined when I started it again.. to many redline starts and my engine's going to give up on me I'm afraid..

Comment

one more quick thought, could it be tied to the air/fuel mixture screws? maybe I somehow opened those up to much? (instead of 2 1/2 turns maybe somehow I miscounted turns??)

Comment

Well , the ONLY time my bike ever revved like that after working on the carbs was when I forgot to tighten the bowl drain screws back up , so gas was leaking out the drains . But mine only revved to about 6K then ....

Comment

no leaks out of the bowls on mine, was down there with a flash light looking in at them after it revved on me.. and mine is going all the way up to to max of 14k.

Comment

Check to see if the slides are staying shut. Have the springs been replaced.

The only other thing I can recommend is to take the carbs apart again and make sure everything is where it should be.

Buc
                  it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

As long as you have the tank off, take the throttle cable(s) and choke cable off the carbs, and then start the bike. If it shoots too high, we've ruled out the cables, and it's now time to look at vacuum leaks.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so cyber, you don't think it has anything to do with the air/fuel mixture screws I adjusted while jetting?

Comment

That wouldn't make your bike rev to frikkin redline . It COULD make it rev up a couple thousand , but that's about it .

Comment

Originally posted by bgb443
                          so cyber, you don't think it has anything to do with the air/fuel mixture screws I adjusted while jetting?
                          I'm with MD86 on this -- that's not the idle screws (at least not by themselves).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so are we thinking this is a vaccum leak? I didn't think a vaccum leak would make it redline though..

Comment

where do you live? maybe someone with some experience lives close enough to come over and look at it for ya. but I think I would pull the carbs and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. you're dumping fuel in there somewhere.

another question- do you have to spray the starting fluid in every time to get it to start? because the fluid would cause a big rev like that.

Comment

The way your idle cable should be turned is not clockwise, that raises it. counterclockwise lowers the idle. if the cable is broken I could see your idle staying so high. follow the cable to the carbs, there is a little screw that when threaded in (clockwise) pushed up on a stop which controls how open the butterflies are. adjust this so it is not even touching it, you can make it idle with the throttle if you need to.

I really think it still has to do with the idle screw personally..... but I may be wrong.

(i didn't see anyone answer his question about this earlier, sorry if someone did)

Comment

Working...
                                X