X

new bike - got odd smells

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike - got odd smells

I just bought a 2000 katana 750, it has 44000 km, i am not sure if there has been much work done on the bike, but i find when i am driving it i get odd smells here and there. when i had it going 10000 rpm in 5th gear i smelled a strong oil smell, but driving normally i dont get much for scents.
    I do not know much about bikes, so it is kind of hard to describe the smells

any input or tips on what to check would be great, thanks

One of the things I do when I first get a bike is typically disassemble the headers & exhausts and smear the bolts and the gaskets with high-temp anti-seize. This means years down the road, they'll come apart readily without issue -- but it comes at the penalty that for many hours of riding (20+ typically), I can still smell some of the carrier grease used in the formulation burning off. It kind of gives my bikes an unique smell

As for the obvious answers: oil filter not tight enough, oil leak somewhere, fuel overflow, something fouled in the oil radiator or headers (such as a bit of road-kill), or outside smells that have zero to do with the bike. If you're smelling it when riding but it's not consistent when stopped for a red light with a hot engine, it's probably outside the bike all-together.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i had the same prob. my smell came from a spot of oil i ran over. it splashed up
      sigpic

Comment

10K RPM in 5th gear.....
        ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Was gonna say at that rate of speed, how could a smell rise up?
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Pacerman View Post
            10K RPM in 5th gear.....

first bike, was trying to see what she can do :P

as per a constant smell, i do not smell anything at a red light

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
              Was gonna say at that rate of speed, how could a smell rise up?
              Originally posted by rome_rome View Post
              as per a constant smell, i do not smell anything at a red light
              If you're not smelling it standing still, but smelling it at speed, it's coming from outside the motorcycle (or from a small passage in the air vents of the helmet, where a dead bug might have gotten trapped). Welcome to the world of motorcycling, where the scents of the world are part of the experience

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                If you're not smelling it standing still, but smelling it at speed, it's coming from outside the motorcycle (or from a small passage in the air vents of the helmet, where a dead bug might have gotten trapped). Welcome to the world of motorcycling, where the scents of the world are part of the experience

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

ahaha, looks like i will be using my dads, "it is the vehicle ahead" excuse a lot : )
                thanks a bunch guys. i can now worry less lol.

Comment

you might not want to be going that speed anymore seeing how in the other post it says you crashed your Kat. Might want to look into an MSF class.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacerman View Post
                    you might not want to be going that speed anymore seeing how in the other post it says you crashed your Kat. Might want to look into an MSF class.

MSF?

and aha, figures when im following the speed is when i crash : ) . . . but lets put that behind me now :P lol

Comment

Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Ok first off what kind of gear are you wearing.

Comment

maybe at the high rpms the vibrations caused some oil to leak out and burn on the exhaust? my buddy had that problem with his cbr600 when he went anything over 6000rpm.
                        1999 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Dfurgi View Post
                          maybe at the high rpms the vibrations caused some oil to leak out and burn on the exhaust? my buddy had that problem with his cbr600 when he went anything over 6000rpm.
                          that is what one buddy suggested to me.

as per gear,
                          HJC CL-15 helmet, jeans, and leather jacket + gloves. jackets super heavy, the gloves and jeans are light, and just shoes.

Comment

as long as it isn't what you are wearing in the picture.

Comment

I smell gas all the time when i park at my garage... normal for Kats especially if you have aftermarket air filters.
                              KATitoy

Comment

Working...
                              X