X

Oil filter at Advance/AutoZone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter at Advance/AutoZone?

Is the only place a bike shop/dealer/internet to get the right oil filter or will places like AutoZone and Advance carry them?

I've used autoparts store oil filters before. I'd recommend OEM, but in a pinch you can find one pretty much anywhere.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

They had like two filters at the advanced auto by my place and one was the one I was looking for. Same with plugs which was funny because the store that had tons of plugs didn't have mine but they did (SV650)...

Comment

I use a Wix #1359(napa) oil filter and plugs you should be able to buy just about any where
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

dont use the fram one , i been told the glue in it melts and gets into the engine .

i use the purolator one Purolator ML16818 found at pep boys for like 4-6 bucks i think
          sigpic

Comment

fram pro gold sucks. the metric socket cap on the end strips easily. so if the filter is installed too tight good luck removing it because theres no pattern on the outside diameter of the filter i.e. a filter wrech wont remove it. the 2 i had i barely torqued and im very familier with what kind of torque and old school tightening will do as far as number on a gauge.

with the fitment between my headers it was almost stuck. vice grips and a screwdriver punched thru it finally got it.

use a conventional filter (which is cheaper, and more expensive is not always better) and use a filter wrench with a socket extension.

fram performance gold- 10.99 to 12.99 VS 5.99 to 6.99 for something you KNOW you can get off after 5000+ miles.

just my 2 cents.

found it. heres what i use on my 96 kat and theyre 5 or 6 bucks.

HiFloFILTRO - HF138.

been using them for a while now and you can use a filter wrench for removal/installation and using proper torque spec without stripping the tiny metric end cap FRAM employs....
            Last edited by FlyingWheelsCycleCourier; 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

IMHO: OEM.
              WHY: Because the Kat's oil filter needs to be able to handle oil temps that cars and water-cooled bikes never see.

I sell them for $8.50 plus shipping. Buy 3 and it makes real sense (and dollars) over generic equivilents. $4.50 for the matching end-cap wrench for the filter. Never understood people who'd compromise a $3k+ bike for a $2 savings on filters...
              See the link for my maint supplies sales in my signature.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree with Cyber here. Go OEM or deal with wondering why your bikes dripping oil, Or someone elses you worked on. I've purchased enough OEM filters off Cyber in the last two years to outlast most Avid kat riders. Never had a callback for a leak. Those that supplied me their own filters?... Well, Yeah I had a few. Three were zuki owners, two weren't. For the OEM i'm 0/0 zero leaks/zero callbacks. And I have done plenty of changes both on my own bike and others bikes. I learned the hard way trying to find a cheaper filter and ran into leaks and a blown gasket on one that blew while riding. Almost lost my Kat. I went back to OEM then eventually started buying them from Marc.

But the great thing is the same filter for the Kat fits on most suzukis.. From V-Stroms to Busas, Kats to GSX-R's, Burgmans to Bandits. Its the one constant used across a huge range of what Suzuki has to offer.

I keep 'em in stock.

Sorry the last shots a bit hazy due to temp change and the lense hazing over.
                Last edited by Newbie2it; 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM.
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Yup... go OEM. Best route to take.
                  KATitoy

Comment

I went with OEM. I only ever debated it because the day I wanted to change the oil was the day the dealer was closed, so I just waited.
                    I never understood the reason for a filter wrench. If I cant get one off with my hand I just Kabob it with a long screwdriver which gets the job done 100% of the time.

Comment

I have been using hastings part number LF588 on the Busa sense I got it and the Kat will get the same treatment. I have 14,000 miles on the big bike and 0 oil filter issues with that filter.
                      sigpic
                      2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
                      2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

NAPA carries a powersports-specific line of filters now. Three oil changes on mine with no issues.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                        X