X

CAT part for my Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
    It worked really well and for $3.50 it was the best money I have ever spent on the Kat
    It was a little tough to roll into place will gloves on on the highway
    Would be a lot easier to do at the last stop light before getting on the highway
    Will take some getting use to when changing gears
    Felt weird to be able to rest right hand on the tank

I was going to buy them , figuered I did not need 10 of them and figuered I would go with OE CAT for probably a better compound but I guess you will have 9 spares LOL
    Or 8 spares if you put one on the left grip to be symetrical
    I thought they were original Caterpillar O rings, should of read the whole listing. It does say they are like silicone and like you said I'll have 9 spares. I would'nt try changing gears with it in place, wait till you get her in 5th gear on the highway and roll it into the gap.
    Last edited by katman05; 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

come on guys, really do you think an oring that is rubber, silicone or any regular material that orings are made out of are going to just fall apart within a week or so?

dry rot? ok your tires are rubber and look at the abuse they get. a rubber oring on your handle bar in the sun all day long will last years.

i think the main point in the cat part is the size and then the color.

Even if a cat oring broke down in 2 months or even 1 month and it works....for $3.50 still not a bad cost.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Ok
        so we did a run of a couple hundred miles today
        I found out that it is tough to shift gears quickly with it in place
        I also found out it is easier to roll it on to the grip when not needed
        Mixed feelings about putting it in place with gloves on
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Are you all sure on that part number 8M4991? I picked one up yesterday and it doesn't even come close to fitting. Way to big, it just falls off the bar end.

Comment

Originally posted by darcshadow View Post
            Are you all sure on that part number 8M4991? I picked one up yesterday and it doesn't even come close to fitting. Way to big, it just falls off the bar end.

yep thats the part # I used on my 04 katana
            Is it possible they gave you the wrong one ?? unless you bar ends are undersized
            does it roll right over the end of the grip?
            If you google the part #8M4991 you should be able to find the size to confirm

Comment

yeah, it's the right part number, the number is stamped right on it.

yeah, it roles easly onto the end of the grip but it's bigger then the the throttle control that the grip is on. I've seen this setup on a triumph so I'm pretty sure how it's supose to work but could some one take a photo of it on a Kat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                I bought 10 of them last night, here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Caterpillar-H...quipment_Parts?_

I just bought 3...... it'll be interesting to see if they work.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

here is pics from camera phone , I THINK

HOLY CRAP it worked
                  first pic it is on grip , second it is between grip and bar end
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanks, that's how I thought it would look.

Got 2 problems with mine I guess, first it would seem the bar ends on mine are smaller and second the gap between the bar end and the grip is much bigger. I'm looking to put some of those foam grips on so maybe that'll help.

Comment

Just got mine.. can't wait for a warm day to go try it out!
                      sigpic
                      "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Cool!

Local shop doesn't stock them, but will bring in a box overnight and have one for me tomorrow. Can't wait to try this!
                        High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Thanks for the info. I happen to work at CAT and was able to look this part up. It is made of Nitrile Rubber which is resistant to oil and other chemicals. It will also withstand all the riding weather we face.

Comment

Originally posted by bnelly View Post
                            Thanks for the info. I happen to work at CAT and was able to look this part up. It is made of Nitrile Rubber which is resistant to oil and other chemicals. It will also withstand all the riding weather we face.
                            the guys at the local CAT dealer laughed pretty good when I told them I was ordering it for my bike

Comment

It does seem like a bit of a stange thing to use an O-ring for but as a fellow Kat owner it seems reasoniable to me. I just need to get one for myeslf now to try it out.

Comment

I've tried it on my bike and it's ok for a very short time... I have better luck throwing the choke on for a bit.
                                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                                X