X

clutch slipping?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch slipping?

Ok got a few bugs worked out a of course have a new one.

I have a 02 750 kat and did a oil change i used Mobil 1 10w-3
    this is the oil. only oil i could get at the time .(Cycle shop closes before i get off work)

Now when i hit 7 to 8 rpm the clutch slips i ease off the throttle the clutch grabs.. Also if i ease throw the throttle no slippage.

is it the oil or the clutch going bad or both?

Sounds like what i had going on....i dont know if the oil would matter but it could just be the plates and steels that need replaced?

Comment

From the link you posted for your oil. You used the wrong oil. Never use automotive oil in your bike.
      Here is a link to Cyber's site http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...to/mc_oil.html

It will explain all the oil technical data.
      I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they spell your name right.

Comment

Originally posted by starspan View Post
        From the link you posted for your oil. You used the wrong oil. Never use automotive oil in your bike.
        Here is a link to Cyber's site http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...to/mc_oil.html

It will explain all the oil technical data.
        ok i will have to send the wife to our local shop to see if they can get a good brand.

Now the next question is the damage done or will the oil change save me from a clutch replacement?

I put about 50 to 70 miles on this oil.
        Last edited by bishop403; 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

plates

Hmmm good question. How much did the clutch slip? You might be able to do a oil change and get away with it. If it starts slipping with a oil change you most likeely glazed your metal plates. Look at the metal plates for glazing or blueing. Measure the fiber plates with a caliper. Put the metal plates on a flate plate and measure for warpage. If Everything measures up ok you might be able to try and deglaze your metals on a flat plate and fine grit sand paper. Oh and dont forget the springs. Hope that helped some. If it sounds like to much a new set would be best

Comment

change your oil ...the only oil close is the goldtop mobil 1 oil extended life or SHELL Rotella T 5-40 syn . if you use these you will be fine ...or buy real bike oil if it still slips you might have to bead blast your steel plates -$10 at a motor shop . and ruff up frictions or replace them and springs why your there - springs $10

Comment

well i made it to the shop today and picked up some of there Kawasaki 10w-40 ,i havent had a chance to try it out yet though from all the rain but will post the results as soon as i can.

As for how much it slipped, It real did it around 4 times when i opened on the throttle hard and hit around 8 rpms,of course i dropped the throttle as soon as it did it.

Other then that it shifts up and down perfect. if i ease through the throttle no slipping..feels like it wants to slip when the power ban kicks in.

Comment

well after oil change clutch still slipping around 7 rpm ease off a little or take it through with out holding it wide open and its fine ..but seems like its a little better.

I couldn't remove the oil filter so some of the old oil was left duno if that would make it still slip.

Comment

Im having the same problem with my clutch on my 01 750. Clutch slips in the higher rpms. Ive been using Mobil 1 car oil for years and never had a problem until recently.

Comment

Did u try to readjust the clutch?
                    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

Im posting this here even though I've already posted in your other thread. Car oil in bikes = clutch slipping.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X