X

1989 kat750f Ran out of Gas..Now it doesn't want to start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 kat750f Ran out of Gas..Now it doesn't want to start

Hi there, this is my first time having issue with my beloved 750...thanks to my lady nagging to go home I didn't get gas..so the next day I started my bike to go gas it up and it run fine...like always.. but then it shut down..I try to started again and it did for a bit then it die again..I try starting it again but nothing..I check the tank and it was empty..I went to get gas (I used 89) and I but about a gallon..I put the bike on prime and I try to start it but nothing..I try in different possition. The Pri...On...and Reserve but nothing....I started moving the carb regulator to the right and to the left. try to start it again but nothing.. I left it all night on the prime possition. I charge the battery early this morning and after about 4 hours of charge I try again and nothing....Can any one help me!!I don't know what to do..I'm charging the battery again and right now a the bike is with the valve pointing to reserve..plz help I hate to see my baby not running...
    Last edited by lucky7; 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM.

Sounds like you might have sucked some crap into the carbs. Pull the fuel lines off the tank to make sure the petcock isn't plugged up. If you get fuel out on prime and none in the on position, then it may be time for a carb cleaning...
    sigpic
    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

+1 I would guess the petcock isn't working and then work from there.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

but...
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

If water was in the bottom of the tank, it's in the bowls so your not feeding gas. I'd check the flow from the petcock as mentioned, but then I would look at draining the bowls on the carbs before pulling them off. It's possible it's just water, with out anything else.

On the other hand, if you got that much water in the tank, it's probably started to rust, and yeah... you may need to do a full tank and fuel system clean for that because there is no telling what is now in your carbs.

But it's possible it's just water.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I look inside my tank and is not rusted at all...is very, very clean....so I'm considering the water theory..plz tell me how I can drain the bowls on the carbs. I really hope is not too hard. I'm kind of new at this...I do small stuff..in my desperation I took the gas tank out and it was quick..that's one of the reassons why I love kats..but when it comes to carbs I'm lost..thank you very much for your help and time to reply.

Comment

there are screws located at the bottom of each bowl just loosen them up and let it drain my friend. hope this helps
              still screwing with junk

Comment

Look at the picture below. On the bottom turned left or right of each carb, is a brass colored screw/bolt sticking out. They are longer on each outside carb. Flush on the insides. Remove these and it will drain your bowl. Be sure to get a small cup or something to catch anything that comes out when you do.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thank you very much I will try that tomorrow during the day...that gives me the oportunity to flush and may be drain the gas from the tank and put new one....also gives me a chance to fully charged battery....I played with the carb adjuster..You see it on the pic..the long bold that you can turn to adjust the rpm..do you think it matters? Now as far I'm concearn to open is to the right and to close it to the left..right?..thanks for your patience and time. best regards. Lucky

Comment

yes the screws are just standard screws left = loose, right = tight, i would get the bike up to operating temp before adjusting idle correct me if i wrong but should be 1600 rpm
                    still screwing with junk

Comment

Originally posted by unclebeaner View Post
                      yes the screws are just standard screws left = loose, right = tight, i would get the bike up to operating temp before adjusting idle correct me if i wrong but should be 1600 rpm
                      +1

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

to be quite honest I used to have it right above the 1000's and worked fine..although recently I felt that it was giving me very little milage on a full tank..see that's how my problem started..my bike used to give me about 80 or 90 mpg..is bad I think..because my 1100 before this one used to give me easy 110...now this past weekend this bike only gave me 67 miles for the tank not top fulled. I really think I also needs spark plugs in this puppy...if you don't mind me asking how many miles does your bike give you? per tank...

Comment

52 avg, in the Mnts (lots of hills, nothing flat).

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

You get 52mpg with a 750?? Whats your set-up?
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                              You get 52mpg with a 750?? Whats your set-up?

Mostly stock, but with K&N pods I'll be removing soon.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X