X

Bad News....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News....

I recently posted about how my bike had a little trouble starting,and had sluggish response at higher speeds,and that is wasn't quite running right(kinda felt like it was running out of gas).It felt like it wanted to stall when I got down to 1st gear....I thought it was just a fouled plug,but a friend of mine noticed that there is oil that is starting to seep through on the left side,right where you can see the head(It's on about 4 or 5 of the fins...).....you can see where the oil just started to hit the fairing too(very little though).Can it be the head gasket?!My motor only has about 7K on it,is this common around that mileage?!Is it even worth fixing,or should I start looking into getting a new motor?!I love my bike,but this seems like an expensive problem....Any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
    http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
    Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

IMHO...... I'd look into getting new gasket......or at least checking the torque on all the bolts before even considering a new motor. It might be a "cheap" fix.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

it is probably the head gasket, that's a cheap easy fix, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        it is probably the head gasket, that's a cheap easy fix, no problem.
        I concur!
        Currently Riding:
        1995 Katana 600
        V&H Exhaust
        Jet Kit

SOLD
        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
        1987 XV700 Bobber
        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

It could be a failure of the rubber head cover gasket, washers for the valve stem plugs or, as was said, the head gasket. Depends on if the oil starts dribbling down where you can't see it, then when it low enough to get into the air stream the oil flows to where you can see it.

Where in this old picture of mine would you say the oil leak is at?

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yeah when Joseph called me and was telling me about it i thought of Head gasket, unless the slight oil leak was old or just a valve cover seepage

Comment

when he says "fins" I think he's talking about cylinder block fins. That means it's leaking from the bottom of the cylinder head. That pretty much leaves one thing.
              Last edited by arsenic; 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

valve cover leak and or oil seal leak won't cause a loss of performance and poor running.
                I agree ... pull the head, check it for being true and free of any warps, buy a new gasket and properly torque it down.

Every mechanic is different but I recommend using permatex copper spray on both sides of the head gasket before installing it. It is especially important on steel head gaskets or gaskets with steel combustion ring liner. I have had super results and excellent reliability using the copper spray (not the **** in a tube) even in two piece combustion domes.

Fast-drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals instantly. Fills hot spots and surface imperfections. Temperature range -50°F to 500°F (-45°C to 260°C); resists all types of automotive fluids, especially gasoline. Level 3*

Suggested Applications:
                Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications

I have heard that cometic gaskets are slightly thinner then OE and will provide you with a slight boost in compression. I have not personally measured them against each other to prove this though
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Actually, Suzuki tells you to use their gaskets DRY & I've never had a Suzuki head gasket leak when put together with nothing else on it. I've been doing engine builds for over 30 years & never had an issue with a Suzuki gasket on a replacement or rebuild. COPPER gaskets are another story. Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I dont doubt you or your abilities one bit

but just check around and look how many stock Suzuki's and other mfgs have leaky head and base gaskets over time.
                    Do you know how many stock head gaskets I've replaced working at verious delaerships and my own shops over the years on low mileage bikes? Hundreds
                    I've never had one re- leak using the spray and in some cases on race day and in the pit repairs I have had to reuse gaskets several times.

Obviously if this guy has a bad headgasket already at 7k. dry gaskets from suzuki are not the BEST set up !

When we rebuild race engine we use stronger hardware, and much tighter tolerances and percicely machined components... You can't compare one of mine or your own race engines to a stock GS or GSXF/R engine.
                    On a stock engine that had a leaky gasket to start with there very well could be some slight imperfections in the mating surfaces, casting and machining flaws or issues with the hardware that caused the leak in the first place.
                    The copper spray will eliminate any issues from slight imperfections when properly used.
                    and as i'm sure you know Copper spary is not just for copper gaskets...

like i said every mechanic is different
                    each to his own and all that
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I appreciate everyone's help so far.....sorry so late,but here is what it looks like.....
                      Attached Files

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
                      Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Comment

that is a head gasket, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          Every mechanic is different but I recommend using permatex copper spray on both sides of the head gasket before installing it. It is especially important on steel head gaskets or gaskets with steel combustion ring liner. I have had super results and excellent reliability using the copper spray (not the **** in a tube) even in two piece combustion domes.
                          02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                          90 GSXR 750/1216
                          96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                          87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm a "ditto" on the dry-gaskets when it comes to the Kats... All the leaks I've seen have always been with some form of aftermarket gasket material on them (not doubting you hardlydangerous -- copper spray makes sense to me).

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                            Obviously if this guy has a bad headgasket already at 7k.
                            The real question (to me) is how did he end up with a bad head gasket by 7k miles? And I suspect the answer will be overheated engine and potential compounding of the problem through use of cheaper oils.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm with Hardlydangerous on the copper gasket spray. We did a lot of that stuff at Suzuki. We used copper spray. SO, the manufacture OEM parts the manufacturer service, and we did what the manufacture says not to do. I fully understand not using the spray and intalling it dry, we kinda did things so we did not have to do them again. Hardlydangerous is correct, every mechanic is different.

Comment

Working...
                              X