X

Resetting the valves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting the valves

Is it possible to adjust/reset the valves in your home garage? I dont have 250 dollars laying around in my pocket these days so I was wondering if I could do this myself?

sure is. I have never done a pre, but I did my post, and it was simple (just takes a long time to get to the valves)
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
      sure is. I have never done a pre, but I did my post, and it was simple (just takes a long time to get to the valves)

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

&

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

You can as much time preping the bike to get to the valves as it is to do the actual adjustment.

However if you do not do it correctly and the nut adjuster looses gap, you'll achive a "burnt valve" condition.

Last edited by squiggy; 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks alot that looks perfectly do-able..im fairly experienced with mechanics but have been having carb issues so Im thinkin why is winter and the carbs are off I my as well save myself some money come spring.

Comment

wait a second, what year is your pre 600?

Comment

96 ..arent the valves shimmed or something complicated?

Comment

yeah, those are shim valves, that $250 you got would buy 1/2 the master set of shims, good luck.

Comment

meaning what its worth the money?

Comment

look, I'll be honest, I don't even touch shim valves. Pay the dealership to do it. It's not that I can't do them cause I can, I don't have a master set of shims and I don't wanna buy one. Why do you think my project engine has a 98+ 600 head? 88-91 600's are screw vavles along with the 98+ 600's. the 750 has always been screw valves. 92-97 600 are shim's.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 02-07-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

well thats a sh*** deal lol. So lets say I put a 98+ head on there...is this a direct swap or is it pretty complex switch?

Comment

a 98+ head is a direct swap, but you also need the 98+ cams. Shim valves have 8 cam lobes per cam shaft, screw valves have 4 per cam shaft. It's due to the fact that shim valves have 1 rocker arm per valve and screw valves have 1 rocker arm for every 2 valves.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 02-07-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

valves

I can't get the link to work, anyone know where I can get the how to for the valve adjustment on a pre without shims?

Comment

GSX600 - GSX750 - GSX1100 (85 - 96)
                          haynes service & repair manual

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

You also DON'T need a master shim kit! There are MANY of us that have shim kits that will trade or sell you the shims you need. I have every size & thickness shim needed for a SUZUKI & will help you if you can measure & remove your shims. It is NOT rocket science & once you do the adjustment the first time you will see how easy it is. Let me know by PM if I can help you. Changing the head just because of this reason would be STUPID! Ray.
                            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                              You also DON'T need a master shim kit!
                              +1

Many mom & pop shops and better dealership will also trade you shims -- you bring them yours and tell them what you need, and they'll trade you (might ask for $10 or $25 for the time/trouble). It's not unreasonable.

Things to watch for with the shims is that you get the cam caps & bolts for them matched to exactly where they came out of -- now switching them around (they wear specific to their location on the cams).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X