No announcement yet.
X

thread pitch on spark plugs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never use a regular helicoil in a spark plug hole or any major thread repair for that matter.
    Sure if you strip out a foot peg mount hole go ahead and use a helicoil, but for spark plugs, oil pans, oil lines, engine blocks, cylinder heads etc use a timesert.

Ive done it both ways, helicoils years ago when i did not know any better and timeserts the last 10 years.
    with heli coils it like a 25% shot of it working and never having a problem. I've had many issues with them

Use an actual timesert or spark plug timesert.
    you can't even compare the quality and reliability of a repair between a solid 1 piece insert and a piece of coiled wire.
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Ok, heres where I'm at after doing some checking. Thread pitch for stock plugs is 12 x 1.25 prev. owner installed 12 x 1.75. None of the parts stores around here know anything about Timeserts or where to get them. Heicoil does make a solid insert especially for plugs. Unfortunately since the PO already threaded it for the 12 x 1.75 the new helicoil made specially for plugs will not fit. My Question.... can anyone see why I couldn't drill out the plug hole and rethread it to accept the 14 x 1.25 spark plugs????

Comment

timesert, you have the internet, google is your friend. No **** parts kids don't have a clue, kids that get paid $8 bucks an hour to stand behind a register and push buttons.

Comment

I use wurth Time-sert for spark plugs or oil pans, imo using anything else means you will be doing it again soon

At Würth we focus on assembly and fastening materials, supplying customers in the trades and the construction sector. The product range comprises over 125,000 products: From screws, screw accessories and anchors to tools, chemical-technical products and personal protection equipment.
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

My preference: KeenSerts... but I won't raise that issue.

You ought to be able to tap it out to 14mm without an issue as far as I know (take the head off first), but I've never done it on a Kat so I can't promise...
            Or simply score a healthy head off Arsenic or eBay, etc.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              My preference: KeenSerts... but I won't raise that issue.

You ought to be able to tap it out to 14mm without an issue as far as I know (take the head off first), but I've never done it on a Kat so I can't promise...
              Or simply score a healthy head off Arsenic or eBay, etc.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              I have used keenserts and they are pretty darn good, They have a nice retention device in them.

Tmod

Comment

I don't have ANY 1100 engine parts, ebay will help you there.

Comment

Working...
                X