520 conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you want to wheelie? You already bought what you need, it's called a GSXR

Comment

order fork seals and oil along with your chain and sprocket set...you're gonna need them.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonX View Post
        thanks guys for all the replies. well, I should of made it more clear that i didn't want just the chain but the kit that comes with the sprocket. But, i don't really understand it so i don't know what I need either. But, since we all now know that i want to do wheelies (i do have a gixxer but it's brand new and too scared, ),

If that's the case, then don't wheelie the kat. You will pay more for replacing front fork issues than replacing sprockets. remove the fairings and headlight assembly from the gsxr, add an engine cage, and 12 o'clock bar and you should be good to go. you could also do a 520 conversion with the gsxr

what do I need exactly? what should I buy? Please explain it so simple that i can go online and find it. total newbie to wheelies. my only comment is that 520 maybe more common. but, i'm leaving this to you guys. thanks a bunch.
        as for the gsxr,a 14 tooth front sprocket and 48-50 tooth rear sprocket should get the front wheel up pretty easy without having to use clutch

Braunstein82 has a stunt bike and could help you out more. not sure how often he is on though.
        Last edited by Mat0302; 10-11-2008, 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

the GSXR already has 520 chain and sprockets

Comment

pending year, but my '06 gsxr had a 525 set-up
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

in all honesty, we're splitting hair here, like it's really gonna make a damn bit of difference for dudes fear to do a wheelie. I used to wheelie my gixxer all the time, never on purpose though, and you know what mods it had? A slip on and a power commander.

Comment

a stock gsxr will wheelie....
                myspace
                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

oh, before the Power Commander it certainly did.

Comment

well, it's not the fear of doing a wheelie. it's fear of messing it up on the new bike. just got it and would really bum me out. wanted to learn it well on the kat first, but if it's so much headache, then I'll put it off for now.

Comment

could you guys please explain what 520 conversion consists of, like what do I buy, and etc. also gains vs. losses and would it help the wheelies?
                      The ability to wheelie is mostly down to sprocket ratios and your own talent levels. If you drop the front to 13 teeth and jack the rear up to 53 teeth, you'll be able to ride wheelies pretty much all day, irrelevant of whether you use a 520 or 530 chain & sprockets.
                      Please note this is not to say it's a great idea on the Kats -- the engine isn't designed to be able to suck up oil while the nose is pointed skyward (as verses to some of the SS bikes that have V-shaped oil sumps specifically to keep the engine oiled while in a wheelie), and the front end of the bike is particularly heavy compared to most bikes (I have seen everything from the gauges forward snap off when someone landed a wheelie on a 98+ Kat -- and it wasn't even a particularly hard landing, but it wasn't the first landing either).
                      If you want a wheelie/stunt machine, I would suggest looking for a trials bike or a dirt/super-moto bike and using that...

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      While the Katana is heavier than other 600/750 sport bikes it's really not Harley heavy.
                      Sportster 1200 = 497 lb, Road King = 731 lb, Kat 750 = ~460 lb
                      RK520XSO Gold chain = 8,500 Ft/lb tensile, RK530XSO Gold 9,500 Ft/lb tensile.. The 520 has 89% of the tensile strength of a 530. Do you really think the Kat is so heavy and has so much horse power it needs that extra 11%? When a 160hp GSX-R1000 that weighs only 90 pounds less has a 520?
                      (A) The Harley's bang-interval is low enough that they can get away with rubber belts for those engines (VTwin firing max of 6k RPM or so) -- something not feasible with a 10k+ 4-cylinder. This ought to indicate to you there is a radical difference in the loading, even with similar weights and total HP.

(B) Tensile strength of the chain is almost totally irrelevant to chain failure on modern sealed ring chains (all the major manufacturers generally make chains strong enough in tensile strength) -- the critical factor (and main point of failure) on sealed ring chains is virtually always the O-rings, which is almost always down to heat issues. Thus, the bigger the heat sink, or the more frequent the lubrication (reducing the heat build-up through lube), the longer the O-rings will tend to last. 520 simply has a much smaller heat-sink, and thus lube becomes far more critical. Personally, I don't think it's worth the difference, but it's a call each owner has to make for themselves.

(C) GSXR trades lifespan for performance, by design, in all aspects. This includes chain life, which on a typical GSXR is about than 1/3rd of that of the Kat's stock chain/sprockets when both are properly maintained.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[quote=The CyberPoet;1566890]

(A) The Harley's bang-interval is low enough that they can get away with rubber belts for those engines (VTwin firing max of 6k RPM or so) -- something not feasible with a 10k+ 4-cylinder. This ought to indicate to you there is a radical difference in the loading, even with similar weights and total HP.

What about the buell 1125R, they are belt driven and have a pretty high RPM. Could you clarify this just, because I'm curious.
                        Semper Fi
                        1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Originally posted by jimwag81 View Post
                          What about the buell 1125R, they are belt driven and have a pretty high RPM. Could you clarify this just, because I'm curious.
                          Still a V-Twin, which means half as many bangs per second compared to a similar 4-cylinder, allowing the hybrix (synthetic rubber with a cross-linked polyurethane & nylon content) compound to recover it's elasticity between detonations.

The belt itself is a marvel of Goodyear engineering, with nylon coatings on the teeth to reduce friction & oil-permeation, and Goodyear's flexton as the belting material (Flexton is a metal-coated kevlar or kevlar-like fabric fiber). Effectively, Buell has taken the newest automotive timing belt technology and adapted it to their drive-belt needs. But I think you'll see issues with this belt technology in certain particularly hot-weather race environments, because of the materials' thermal limits.

But it doesn't change the basics of belts vs. chains:
                          (A) Belts don't normally work reliably on high torque, high RPM scenarios with 4+ cylinders normally because they do require a certain amount of time to reshrink/recover elasticity after being stretched by the detonation event before being stretched again by the next detonation event;
                          (B) A well lubricated chain still transmits more power per bang than even this belt (this belt technology has a 98.2% efficiency rating) -- chains are literally the most efficient form of power transmission for this purpose. Buell traded for a belt for weight (thus handling) reasons.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X