X

Engine Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild

Does anyone know of sites that i could look at to figure out how much to rebuild a 600 engine?

not sure it would be worth it to do an enitre rebuild, better off finding an engine for $100-$200 locally or off ebay
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I'll have a 600 I'll sell you cheap here in a couple months... I know its not in the greatest shape (some metal in the oil a couple weeks ago) but it does run. Haven't done a compression test yet.
      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
      -Robert Morrison

"
      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Originally posted by Signal Soldier View Post
        Does anyone know of sites that i could look at to figure out how much to rebuild a 600 engine?
        Year?
        98+ - RonAyers.com
        Pre-98 - OEM: RonAyers.com or Bore-Over/Compression increase: WiseCo.com

In general, if you're trying to stay on the low-cost end of things, everyone is right about swapping engines instead -- less time, hassle and generally less total cost involved. This is particularly true if there are either serious bore-damages (cylinder-wall damages) or transmission damages.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not trying to jack this thread, but on the wiesco site it has the GSX750F katana piston packages. Now i was wondering if they sell over-bore kits for the 600 or if the 600 is just a smaller bore than the 750, but same block, so in theory i could over bore my 600 to the 813cc kit that they offer for the 750? Would it be safe to bore out that much? I know its probably not worth it to do that to a kat, but id just like to know if it was possible.

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
            Not trying to jack this thread, but on the wiesco site it has the GSX750F katana piston packages. Now i was wondering if they sell over-bore kits for the 600 or if the 600 is just a smaller bore than the 750, but same block, so in theory i could over bore my 600 to the 813cc kit that they offer for the 750? Would it be safe to bore out that much? I know its probably not worth it to do that to a kat, but id just like to know if it was possible.

No one sells kits for the 600, because there is a 750 out there.

Also, on the 98+ there are some manner of coatings on the cylinder walls that makes it disadvantageous to bore them.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Signal Soldier View Post
              If you need to pump it up? than about $700. plus machine shop time.

The 600 is a sleeved 750 so it has plenty of room for big boring!

I'd like to see a stock looking Katana with stock looking # 777 instead of 600.

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
                There are enough differences between the connections (where rod meets piston and where rod meets crank) where they are not interchangable. You can't just overbore the pre98 600 and swap in pre98 pistons designed for 750.
                Last edited by philwecksr; 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM. Reason: My first post was really far off the question and I'm just tired... 12 hrs driving today, back off...

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                -Robert Morrison

"

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

no you sure can't, the pre 98 crank is different 600 to 750. The rods are different and the stroke is different.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 10-08-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    no you sure can't, the pre 98 crank is different 600 to 750. The rods are different and the stroke is different.
                    That...
                    Last edited by philwecksr; 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: Chris can't spell... :lol:

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

Would the 750 rods and crank fit in a 600 block??? I have no intention of overboring my bike, but im just a little curious.

Comment

sure won't, the 750 crank is bigger, it won't fit the 600 crankcase.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the answers!

Comment

I'm a big fan of rebuilding rather then just swapping in a used engine.
                            Mind you this is what I do for a living... but starting out with a NEW fresh engine, correcting any flaws and doing things right will give you a stronger more reliable engine... Buyin a used engine is always a gamble unless you can hear it run, test the compression and inspect the valves before you buy the engine.
                            If you're not experianced with rebuilding engines proerly or don't have the correct tools let someone else build it or swap it for a used engine.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The 600's used the long stroke 85-87 Gsxr 750 crank, as did 98-up 750 Katanas. The early 750 Katanas used the unfortunate short-stroke 88-89 Gsxr crank, with the big wrist-pin.
                              I guess you could get an early GSXR 750 or late 750 Katana top end, bore your cases to fit the bigger cylinder spigots, and get your crank rebalanced, but it would be cheaper and a lot less trouble to just buy a 750,1100, or 1200 Bandit motor and put it in your 600 frame. Wild idea though!
                              1996 600 Bandit
                              1955 HD Pan/Shovel
                              1971 HD Superglide
                              1987 1100 Sportster

Comment

Working...
                              X