X

Engine dying after short amount of riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt06Kat View Post
    Another thing occurred to me, this bike was sitting on the lot for a good 1-2 months before I got it. I have yet to fill up the tank for the first time; is there a possibility that there is some bad fuel at the bottom of the tank mixing through the engine when I'm running causing the engine to react like it is??

not only bad fuel, but likely water and rust too.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

And time to clean the carbs again.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Update: Today a friend came over to try to take a look and see if he saw anything obvious. Still had problems idling, I drove it up the street and same engine bog and dying. Couldn't really figure anything out. So I decided to run up to the gas station and fill up a 2-gallon can with premium. Got back, poured it into my bike giving me about 3/4 tank full. Switched the bike to PRI and rode around my block. From the moment it cranked over, it started sounding much better and I was able to ride it around with no issues.

I geared up and went out onto the street. I drove around for several miles with no issues at all. I switched the petcock back to normal and drove the rest of the way home, bike sounded and felt normal.

I'm very happy that I can at least drive to the shop to have it checked out anyhow, but I'm confused at what exactly got "fixed". Was there bad gas at the bottom of the tank and some new gas is what the carbs needed?

Can anyone recommend a good detergent (and where I can get it) I can put in the gas tank to try to clean it out.
        Last edited by Matt06Kat; 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM.
        2006 Katana 600
        sigpic

Comment

hmmmm, adding gas made it run better,,,,,,,, run some SeaFoam thru the next few tanks. read the can and follow the directions for amounts.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
            hmmmm, adding gas made it run better,,,,,,,, run some SeaFoam thru the next few tanks. read the can and follow the directions for amounts.
            Good advice....and simple fix.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

So the bike has been riding great lately, however last night it started to feel a little weird again. At the same time, my gas is also slightly below 1/4 left in the tank. The engine felt a little slugish and the bike died at a stop.

Is there still crap in the tank when it gets low or is this a warning by the bike telling me to fill up or to switch to reserve?
              2006 Katana 600
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt06Kat View Post
                So the bike has been riding great lately, however last night it started to feel a little weird again. At the same time, my gas is also slightly below 1/4 left in the tank. The engine felt a little slugish and the bike died at a stop.

Is there still crap in the tank when it gets low or is this a warning by the bike telling me to fill up or to switch to reserve?
                geee, dollar to a dime says you got maybe 120 miles or so (assuming 40mpg) on your trip odomiter after your last fill when this happens? you're running out of gas dude. flip to reserve and HIE THEE TO THE GAS STATION
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

so, if the meter reads slightly below 1/4 thats considered empty in the normal tank? if the needle hits E that means your normal and reserve tanks are empty?
                  2006 Katana 600
                  sigpic

Comment

each fuel sender is different. works on a float arm and variable resistance. you just need to learn where the needle on the gauge is when she needs to be switched to reserve. OR watch your trip odomiter.

there really is no "reserve" tank per se. It's all the same tank. the petcock pipe in the tank for "ON" is taller than the pipe for "reserve", which is basicly even with the bottom of the tank. "Prime" feeds off the reserve tube.

When you have to switch, flip it to prime for a few seconds, then to reserve, and fill as soon as possible remembering to set the petcock back to ON. let the tank get too low on reserve and you run the chance of suckin crap from the bottom of the tank into the carb bowls and blockin stuff up good. again, the trick is to KEEP ENOUGH GAS IN THE TANK SO YOU DONT HAVE TO SWITCH TO RESERVE

Comment

Working...
                    X