Engine dying after short amount of riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine dying after short amount of riding

Hello all,

I was hoping for some guidance on what to do here. Just bought a kat like 3-4 weeks ago. Its a 2006 with 17000 miles on it. I've riden it for about 140 miles with no problems. Today, I went out riding, got about a mile or so, came up to a stoplight and as I got down to about 5 mph the engine dies. After a little bit I'm able to turn the bike back on and make the light. However the bike was feeling very odd, its like I had no power anymore. I'm cruising in 6th gear and I just start slowing down all of sudden, I give it gas and nothing happens. I start downshifting and I still can't get any power out of it. Once I'm down to like 20 mph, I put the clutch in and the engine just dies. After a little bit I'm able to turn the bike back on, idles fine for like 10 minutes. Go off riding, and same thing happens about another mile down the road in my neighborhood. Wait a little bit, I'm able to turn it back on. As a test in my neighborhood, I ride around in 2nd gear at 3000 rpms for about 1-2 minutes. All of sudden I start feeling the engine bog down and giving it throttle does nothing, I put the clutch in and the engine dies.

I really can't tell what is going on and unfortunately I'm new to bikes, so not sure what to do. There is a service shop about 5 miles from me luckily, I was thinking about having them look at it, but wondering what everyone on here thought.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to put as much of the "story" in as I could.

Thanks
    Matt
    2006 Katana 600
    sigpic

Check your kickstand switch...something similar happened to me.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Flip the petcock to prime and try agian.. Sounds like its running out of gas. Faulty petcock is a possibility as well as a kinked fuel line or possibly blocked filter Ect.

Try putting it on Prime and see if the problem persists.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Or one of them electrical demons that pops up once parts heat up . SOmetimes the CDI or coils can go south when they get good and hot if they're kinda iffy to start with
        . Start by testing some of that stuff by the book . Then maybe hit them with a hair dryer and try again to see if the readings change .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I don't think its gas since i can start it up fine and let it idle for 10 minutes, it sounds closer to something occuring while riding, something overheating or building up.
          2006 Katana 600
          sigpic

Comment

any other thoughts anyone?
            2006 Katana 600
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              Flip the petcock to prime and try agian.. Sounds like its running out of gas. Faulty petcock is a possibility as well as a kinked fuel line or possibly blocked filter Ect.

I had the same problem.....mine was a 2005, My issue was just like you describe, idle's fine, then as soon as you ride it's bogs down, and eventually dies out......

Originally posted by Matt06Kat View Post
              I don't think its gas since i can start it up fine and let it idle for 10 minutes, it sounds closer to something occuring while riding, something overheating or building up.
              You'd be surprised....if it was somthing to do with over heating it would happen while idle, your bike will get hotter in 10 minutes of idle then it would of 10 minutes of normal riding....(no air flow with idle)

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

+1

I would start by examining the fueling system.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Tank breather blocked ? it vents throught the cap so try a short ride with the cap off to test.
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

It's been hanging around my bike too much.
                    Bad influence.
                    sigpic

Comment

So, turn it on, switch it to Prime and then ride around and see if the problem still happens?
                      2006 Katana 600
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                        I had the same problem.....mine was a 2005, My issue was just like you describe, idle's fine, then as soon as you ride it's bogs down, and eventually dies out......

You'd be surprised....if it was somthing to do with over heating it would happen while idle, your bike will get hotter in 10 minutes of idle then it would of 10 minutes of normal riding....(no air flow with idle)

Then tell us what your solution was. Did you solve it????

Comment

It also seems to be having a hell of a time maintaining an idle. When turning it on, I run the choke for 15-20 seconds, cut it out and then the rpm just falls slowly, 1200, 1100, 1000, 900, and dies.

I tried opening the gas tank when it started bogging down since that was easy to do, but still same thing happened, so it rules that out.

I hear some good suggestions, problem is, I don't work on engines, and just got this bike, so I really don't have a clue how to check any of those things. Where can I read about how to get to that stuff?

Thanks
                          Last edited by Matt06Kat; 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          2006 Katana 600
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, as for finding stuff, you might want to download a service manual here on the site for your bike.

Yes, set the switch to prime start the bike and go for a ride.

Have you tried running around the hood with the bike set to prime yet? Any difference?
                            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Another thing occurred to me, this bike was sitting on the lot for a good 1-2 months before I got it. I have yet to fill up the tank for the first time; is there a possibility that there is some bad fuel at the bottom of the tank mixing through the engine when I'm running causing the engine to react like it is??
                              2006 Katana 600
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X