X

Missed Shifts 1st->2nd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Shifts 1st->2nd

Not sure if it is a characteristic of this bike. Occasionally over the past two rides my 02 Kat 600, has developed a 1-2nd gear shifting issue. Out of 20 shifts this may happen once. When I shift through 1->2, sometimes it only goes to Neutral instead of 2nd, I then have to repeat to get it to 2nd gear. The bad shift felt complete, and ending up in N is actually a suprise to me.

No problems anywhere else in shifting.

Would new oil help out the shifting? (BTW how is Mobil 1 MX4T Synthetic?) The bike was bought used this past April, the prior owner only put 1200 miles on it and then garaged it for next two years. I have not changed any of the fluids since purchase.

I also have no owners manual, so when does the break in period end? I have put about 1100 miles on it since purchase, riding normally.

Re: Missed Shifts 1st->2nd

Originally posted by scrape

Would new oil help out the shifting? (BTW how is Mobil 1 MX4T Synthetic?) The bike was bought used this past April, the prior owner only put 1200 miles on it and then garaged it for next two years. I have not changed any of the fluids since purchase.
    The engine and transmission use the same oil. If that bike has been sitting a couple of years without a change then you should absolutely get that old junk out of there and get some fresh into it. That along with possibly adjusting the clutch (at the motor, not the bars) should bring shifting smoothness back. Since you say it only happens 1 in 20 times and I'm going to guess that it happens more often when your getting into it than just putting around, fresh oil and some scheduled maintenance should clear it right up.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Break in period is over!

WOW! THIS is a one-two punch seldom seen on KR!

Jim posts then I post right next to him! BAM! 8)
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

coudl be that you think you are shifting completely but actually are not.. when I first got my bike i had the same issue I had to force myself to Hard shift up to be sure i was getting it in gear. It still happens once in a great while.. Remember the distance from first to second is greater than second to third.. at least i think it is.
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
          coudl be that you think you are shifting completely but actually are not.. when I first got my bike i had the same issue I had to force myself to Hard shift up to be sure i was getting it in gear. It still happens once in a great while.. Remember the distance from first to second is greater than second to third.. at least i think it is.
          It is.

Other things to check after you change the oil & filter:
          The linkage adjustment for the shifter. If the previous owner tinkered with it (such as if he had particularly large feet), it may be misadjusted and thus have limited range.
          Learn to shift out of first by 6k RPM, and release the gas a bit as you do it -- shifting hard underload, especially in the 1-N-2 shift doesn't do the tranny any good.
          Slam that puppy home. Unlike a car, motorcycles don't want gentle, slow shifts -- the engagement mechanism is a different design and wants hard, clean "snaps" of the shifter.

PS - Mobil 1 MX4T is a good oil if the ambient temps don't go over about 100 degrees. If they do, use Mobil 1 VTwin instead (which is the same basic oil in a 20w50 weight).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X