X

98 600 lost power then stalled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 600 lost power then stalled

I bought a 98 600 3 months ago and haven't driven it too much. I loaned it to a buddy and he went about 7 miles to work and it ran fine. When he left work, he went about 5 miles at 65/70 mph before it started to lose power. Finally he had to pull over as it had no power and minimal throttle response. I had been keeping the batt on a trickle charger and thought maybe it just needed a new batt so I loaded the bike up and headed home, stopping by the Kragan to pick up a batt on the way. The new batt helped it crank faster, but it still wont start. There are no funny noises, it just cranks without firing. After reading several posts, I plan on checking the signal generator tonight after work. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I know, slap me, but did you put it on reserve?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

No. However, I did fill it up just before he took it.

Comment

could be a petcock or clogged fuel filter. try putting the petcock in prime and see if it will start. from what you describe it doesn't sound like it lost fire to the plugs but a fuel issue. could it be bad gas?

Comment

Lights and electrical sound like they all work OK. Must be some kind of fueling issue. There's oil in the crankcase, right? Weird.

Comment

Alright I just got home and got it off the truck. Put it to Res and it fired right up. It idled right at 1100. Put it in the driveway, shut it off, then started it up and turned the selector back to On (it still shows a full tank of 91 octane). The rpms went to 3k and stayed idling there. BTW, no choke after the initial start up. Can it hurt it to run it on Res?

Comment

Not in general, but it would seem to indicate that there is a problem (seriously) that needs to be addressed -- either a fuel leak (that caused the fuel level to drop to the reserve level in just 15 miles), or rust in the tank (that clogged up the "ON" tube)...

There is one other issue it could have been that's very minor -- the fuel lines & any filters have to all go down-hill and not be kinked; the fuel filter laying sideways can deprive the carbs from refilling fast enough, which at highway speeds might run them out.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X