X

did valve adjustment now it wont run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did valve adjustment now it wont run

hello,i got a 01 kat 600 about a month ago.well its in rough shape,12k miles on it and never had any maintanence performed on it.the spark plugs had rust on them!! anyways i ordered new plugs,synthetic oil,chain and sprocket kit,tires,then various nut bolts and gaskets. i figured i would do a valve adjustment on it(first time working on a bike).everything went as it was supposed to i thought.next i tried to start it so i could sync the carbs,it will rev fine and idle fine but then it starts loping and slowly dies off.then i just cant get it to start.also i dont know if it helps but if you put it in prime it runs just the same as if it were in the 6 o clock position. already starting to hate the bike,i try not to blame it for its previous owners laziness and neglect.i really want to ride the bike again its freakin fun as hell lol.

Pull the carbs off, and do a "visual sync" as described in Carbs 101 http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63344
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

ok thanks,but why would the bike run fine before then like crap after?

Comment

You either had the carbs off and bumped something.... or bumped something while they were in the bike would be my guess.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

ok i will check it out tomorrow,thanks

Comment

Q: How old is the fuel and how long was it between you running it last and now?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

put premium in two days before the adjustment and so far has been sitting for a week in my shop

Comment

OK, so it's not old fuel.
                When you did the valve adjustments, how many were out of range, and how much (a lot, a little)? When you change the adjustments on the valves, you effectively change how it creates vacuum at the carbs (which is what the carb sync balances back out). Loping is normally a sign of sync being really off, or of a vacuum leak (such as the vacuum caps on the carbs). Increasing the idle may see you through long enough to actually get the sync done with the sync tool.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X