X

Punk kids f'ed up my bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punk kids f'ed up my bike

Hey everyone I'm new to the board and need some help getting my 99 katana running again.

The other day at work some kids tried to steal my bike by jamming a screwdriver into the ignition (it has no key assembly or anything). Obviously since I have the bike now they weren't too successful at starting it up. Now, after I replaced the fuse that was blown as a result of it (a 30 amp on the left side of the bike) it turns over but won't start. I pulled the spark plug wire off and did the screwdriver trick but turns out there's no spark...

Any suggestions/theories on what they could have messed up by trying to steal it?

PS I rode the bike to work before this happened and it ran like a champ.

Thanks!

may need a new ignition ( had similar thing happen to me, but they were able to remove 1/2 of the tumbler ).

Welcome to the site too.
    sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Get a screwdriver of your own and hunt those punks down!

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
        agreed.
        sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
        k9 GSX-R 600
        GO VOLS!

Comment

Ouch! lol.

Kids: Don't try this at home!
          Last edited by GSXF; 09-15-2008, 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
            Note to self: Don't tick off Enjay.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

SpecialK (a founding member of this board) noted more than once that the 98+ models have a resistor of some sort in the ignition that is mandatory to get the bike to run for more than 30 seconds or some such. As a result, if yours is broken, you can't simply bypass it; you need to replace it.

The question is whether you want to spring just for the ignition switch, or go for the entire rekey kit (which replaces every lock and the master keys all at the same time). You'll find pricing on both at RonAyers.com

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I apologize for the rage, lol, just offering the best advice I could.

Comment

I opted for just an ignition myself. the key is one of the spiff little round stubby one's. Being a '95, I wasn't too concerned if all my keys matched.

Oh and Enjay, I did want to chase them down with something a little larger then a screw driver when it happened to me, luckily the cops found it before it got completely stolen.
                  sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                  '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                  '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

hello and welcome sorry to read about your misfortune
                    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Working...
                    X