X

Katana Hesitation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Hesitation

When I first bought my bike and for the first 500 miles or so the bike ran awesome...very clean from idle to 12K rpms. Here in the last 3 or 4 fillups it has a hisitaion at 8500rpms. Its not really popping and banging, just hesitating. What could this be? It runs good everywhere except there. If I free rev the bike it goes smoothly. I wanted to ask the people who knew these bikes before I started replacing stuff. Any help is appreciated!
    2001 Suzuki Katana 600 (Stock with a pipe...For now!!!)

1990 Mustang Coupe-331 SBF with a Blowdryer on 10.5's (new at the small tire stuff...gets a little crazy)

Dirty or outa sync carbs maybe.

When your bike is at idle, does the rev needle jump at all, even if just a little?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

yes it does...ever once in a while it will even drop from 1100 to 500 and die...

1990 Mustang Coupe-331 SBF with a Blowdryer on 10.5's (new at the small tire stuff...gets a little crazy)

Comment

what air filter is in it?

Comment

factory replacement

Comment

yeah, carbs are probably out of sync.

Comment

How to fix and how much $$$

Comment

sync the carbs Get quotes, it's free if you do it yourself, but the carbtune is money, see if someone has one in your area.

Comment

Is there anyway that this could be a simple fix, such as a fuel filter, spark plugs, wires???

Comment

Run some seafoam thru the tank. Cheapest thing to try.

Comment

Mine was the same way. I tried the seafoam, new spark plugs and wires. Still nothing. I got my carbs synced and problem solved.

Comment

How much was the carb sync. if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by kyfatcat View Post
                          How much was the carb sync. if you don't mind me asking?
                          I rent it out for $5/week. Details here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87762

If you want to buy the Morgan CarbTune for yourself, figure it'll run around $125 right now. There are cheaper alternatives on the market, but no better ones as far as I'm concerned.

If you go to the dealer, they're going to typically charge you 1.5 hours at whatever the shop rate is normally (figure $85 x 1.5 hrs = $127.50 ) to do it.

But I'm also going to highly encourage you to pull your slides and literally wash them with warm, soapy dish detergent water, then dry them off and reinstall (optional: after dry, spray with a light coating of silicone lube).

If you haven't had the scheduled maint (valve adjustments), that could easily factor in as well.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X