No announcement yet.
X

Advice needed on getting motor started

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With an adandoned title he would have to send letters to the last owners asking if they know what happened to the bike and title. If the bike was given under bad terms he could potentially say "It was stolen but never reported, I have the title right here" and take it back. I think the most legal way to do it would be to call the police and see if the VIN is marked as stolen. If not then swap everything to a new frame. That way you don't have to deal with the guy trying to reclaim the bike if he gets a letter saying you're trying to register it. It's kind of shady, really, but if he never reported it stolen and just gave it up in the divorce then its not really illegal. All you're doing is covering your *** in the event that he gets a letter in the mail that says "Free katana, sign here and it's yours again to further **** off the ex!"
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
      With an adandoned title he would have to send letters to the last owners asking if they know what happened to the bike and title. If the bike was given under bad terms he could potentially say "It was stolen but never reported, I have the title right here" and take it back. I think the most legal way to do it would be to call the police and see if the VIN is marked as stolen. If not then swap everything to a new frame. That way you don't have to deal with the guy trying to reclaim the bike if he gets a letter saying you're trying to register it. It's kind of shady, really, but if he never reported it stolen and just gave it up in the divorce then its not really illegal. All you're doing is covering your *** in the event that he gets a letter in the mail that says "Free katana, sign here and it's yours again to further **** off the ex!"
      That's a really good idea. especially since I found out today that the motor IS good. I GOT IT TO RUN. I deffinately don't want to invest a bunch of time and money and lose it. Should be fairly simple really.
      Keep the rubber side down

Comment

Then once everything is transfered to the new frame, file for an abandoned title on your current frame. If he decides to reclaim it then he gets a bare frame. If not, you can get a clean title for it and sell the frame to someone that needs it.
        The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
          Then once everything is transfered to the new frame, file for an abandoned title on your current frame. If he decides to reclaim it then he gets a bare frame. If not, you can get a clean title for it and sell the frame to someone that needs it.
          Yet another great idea!
          Keep the rubber side down

Comment

Working...
          X