X

Oil over full when bike is hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil over full when bike is hot

I just did my fist oil change on my kat 600 I filled the oil while the bike was on the center stand to the full mark on the sight glass. I then took the bike out for a ride that was like 5 miles just to check everything. When I got back and put the bike back on the center stand to check the oil level and it is at the very top of the sight glass. Is it being this amount to full going to cause a problem?
    Thanks in advance
    -Josh

You could drain off a little, But I would also like to mention one thing, Check the area you are checking the oil on. Is the ground totally flat and level? Make sure you check the oil each time in the same place.

When you do an oil change, you should run the motor for a few minutes, then let it sit for one or two, then check the level. If you check it the next day and the levels increased after you repeted the proceedure, then you probably have a stuck float and gas is seeping into your oil. However, Like I said, thats if you check it the next day and its back up or a few days later ect. You should also be able to smell gas from the oil fill if this is the case.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

It is in a garage with level cement. I was wondering if when I rode it for the time if the oil heated up and expanded causing it to fill the sight glass.

Another question is will it cause any damage to run the bike with about 2 mm over full on the sight glass.

Comment

Slight overfilling isnt a huge issue as theres still a little breath room, but the extra fluid isnt warrented.

The maker of the bike stipulates the sight glass window level reading and how best to obtain it for a reason. How you view things and take action on them leaves you as the holder to the answers as to why theres problems with the bike later in its life.

However, Personally, I would just go crack the oil plug just enough for it to show oil moving down the threads slowly and call it a night. Wake up tommorow to see a full catch pan, and an empty Kat? No biggie, tighten the plug, and refill it and leave a little out on the refill. You want to aim for the F mark , but if you know it was showing over ful last time.. leave a little in the pan.

Whats the worst that can happen?? You find you need to add whats left in the pan back? LOL
        Last edited by Newbie2it; 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
          However, Personally, I would just go crack the oil plug just enough for it to show oil moving down the threads slowly and call it a night. Wake up tommorow to see a full catch pan, and an empty Kat? No biggie, tighten the plug, and refill it and leave a little out on the refill. You want to aim for the F mark , but if you know it was showing over ful last time.. leave a little in the pan.
          I disagree with this suggestion because the stock Kat uses a metallic crush washer. If you loosen the plug and it might now seal back up properly. I did an oil change and I reused the crush washer and I ended up with a slow drip. Remember over tightening the plug can crack the pan or strip the thread.

How much oil did you add? Personally I do not use the sight glass when doing an oil change I go by how much I am pouring back in.

Comment

I checked the oil again after putting the bike in the center of the garage and it was right at the full mark. There must be a small dip in the floor or something.

I did not think about the crush gasket on the drain plug. What do you think the likely hood that it will start to leak is being as I did not replace that?
            Thanks
            -Josh

Comment

If you want to take some oil out without draining from the pan, get a syringe and some tubing, place the tubing over the tip of the syringe and place the tubing in thru the oil fill. Draw on the syringe until you get the oil level to where you like it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doblerj14 View Post
                I did not think about the crush gasket on the drain plug. What do you think the likely hood that it will start to leak is being as I did not replace that?
                Thanks
                -Josh
                I am not sure. I did not really do any testing on it. When I failed to replace the washer I noticed a few drops on the floor below the bike after about a week. It really was not a big deal other then the mess being that i was parking in my friend's basement at the time. I would say keep an eye on it. If it does leak then based on how bad you may want to replace the washer. You may have better luck than I did and everything is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                  I am not sure. I did not really do any testing on it. When I failed to replace the washer I noticed a few drops on the floor below the bike after about a week. It really was not a big deal other then the mess being that i was parking in my friend's basement at the time. I would say keep an eye on it. If it does leak then based on how bad you may want to replace the washer. You may have better luck than I did and everything is just fine.

I've had my Kat for 5 years and have never replaced the the oil drain plug washer. No leaks to report of to this day.

Tok

Comment

Originally posted by Tokalosh View Post
                    I've had my Kat for 5 years and have never replaced the the oil drain plug washer. No leaks to report of to this day.

Tok
                    I agree, 23k miles I added to the bike in 2 years and no leaks, Guess it depends on how hard you crank the bolt in as to weather you totally flatten the crush washer so it no longer has spring left to seal.

Comment

Here's an even cheaper tip for overfilling - stick in the tube and close the top of the tube with your thumb. Remove tube and release excess oil into a container! As for the crush washer - I rarely replace them. While I see the incentive, I find the ghetto solution to be cleaning the sump plug, washer to be oil free, then using regular bathroom silicone to create an *extra* gasket. The stuff only burns at like 300 degrees Celsius, never enters the sump and never leaks ... so I never have to overtighten. Also just peels off at the next oil change Hey - I said it was ghetto, but it works.

Comment

only use 3.6-3.8 qrts of oil, this for sure wont over fill. And when screwing back the oil drain plug, only use 20lbs of torque. Hope this helps.
                        My toys

Pre98 Kat fan!

Comment

Me Too...

Originally posted by doblerj14 View Post
                          I just did my fist oil change on my kat 600 I filled the oil while the bike was on the center stand to the full mark on the sight glass. I then took the bike out for a ride that was like 5 miles just to check everything. When I got back and put the bike back on the center stand to check the oil level and it is at the very top of the sight glass. Is it being this amount to full going to cause a problem?
                          Thanks in advance
                          -Josh
                          I had the same thing happen, and, since I don't have too much mechanical knowledge, I follow the instructions EXACTLY at all times, as to being on level ground, filling, let run, let drain back down, then check, etc, etc.....In the past, I have used a big turkey baster to suck out excess, but I haven't tried it on this bike, (Kat 600) so don't know if it will fit.

Comment

Buy yourself a Fumoto valve and never worry about overtightening or crush washers again http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

OK, hold on everyone.

If he changed the oil by the book, then drove it and the oil level after riding is higher than it was before riding, what does that tell us?

Either he measured the oil the wrong way (needs to be checked 1 to 3 minutes after shutting off the engine -- wait longer and you'll get an artificially high reading), or he has a bad carb float that is dumping fuel into the oil (i.e. - adding fluid to the total volume).

If you do have too much (still dubious unless it's from a fault), draining the oil cooler is a lot easier than trying to drain out a little via the oil pan bolt.

PS - I endorse the Fumoto suggestion highly. Four Kats, 70k+ miles on Katana's alone, they've always done me 100% right!

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X