X

she won't go into 3rd...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• she won't go into 3rd...

The problem started after changing the oil, I used Shell Advance SX (Synthetic Fortified API PerfomanceSG, SAE Viscosity 15w-50) as recommended by my Suzuki dealer *raises eyebrows*, after this I did a 1200km ride and had problems a couple of times shifting, after this ride it was parked up for 3 weeks or so unused, when I next took it out for a short blast it just would not shift into 3rd, after changing down and then up again I could sometimes pursuade it to change into 3rd.
    When I say it wont go into 3rd I mean just that, the shifter just wont move up no matter how much force you put behind it.
    I have had the bike running with the rear wheel off the ground (no load) and changed though the gears several times with no problems at all.
    I have noticed that the oil is now darker and dirtyer looking than before I changed it... Could this be as simple as an incompatable oil... Or something more serious? Bent selector? (don't understand how that would have happened though)
    This bike has been shifted clutchless on occasion, however it is a 2006 model that has done just under 10,000km.
    I'm hoping someone is going to be able to confirm my oil suspicions as I really don't want to be stripping her down.
    Last edited by Black Tuna; 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM. Reason: Added text
    2006 GSXF750

Progress...

After spending more time searching threads I found some info that was helpfull. (sorry guys should have looked harder in the first place)
    That I had just done an oil change seems to be more coincidence than anything, I have drained the oil, removed the sump and inspected the selectors these run in groves on a 40mm or so diameter selector shaft, after spining the rear wheel slighty with my foot while changing gears I identifyed the third gear selector and found that the pin which ingages the selector shaft is worn badly in compraisome with the other selectors which were showing no apparent signs of wear.

Obviously I am faced with spliting the case if I am to repair it (yes I know easier to swap out the engine but this is not an option for me) could anyone tell me if it is easier to remove the complete engine (or neccersary) or can I (as it appears) leave the top half of the engine in place and just drop the bottom half of the crankcase?
    2006 GSXF750

Comment

Impossible. To get to the case you have to start at the top and work your way down. This is a VERY lengthy process where you completely disassemble the motor. Make sure you know what you're getting into and get a manual to study.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Thanks Kevin, yes will get a manual first... Engines out now, shame just getting some good riding weather over here, looks like I might miss out
        If it's a complete stripdown it could be a long slow rebuild cause it would be a shame not to add a few mods while I'm at it.
        2006 GSXF750

Comment

good luck
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Real Bummer. I feel for you. Just went for a ride today through to Woodville. Fantastic Cafe. heaps of bikes on the road. Best of luck and hope you get it going soon.

Life is a project, a work in progress. Finishing it isn't important.

Comment

How much do you make an hour?

I'm asking because a full-tear down for a home mechanic is typically 50 hours. A new engine can usually be had for $500 (or even less) if you shop diligently. That means if you make over $10 an hour, it's cheaper to go to work than it is to do it yourself

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

LOL yes I see your point Cyberpoet.
                But availability could be a problem.
                Katana's/GSX750's are not that common over here in little New Zealand, our dollar is worth half what yours is, if I sourced one over there no doubt import tax and freight would make it way to costly.
                I figure if I do it myself in my spare time little by little I will at the end of it have a much better understanding of the inner workings of my machine than the average Joe Blogs, this would not be my first time working on a bike engine, I rebuilt a Honda VF750FG going back a few years, not that I'm claiming to be very knowledgeable, far from it, but hopefully some of the experience has stayed with me, at least this one doesn't have 4 cams in it!
                And I do realise this is going to be a mission, you should have heard the bad language come from my garage when I finaly realised just how much work it was going to be and that I was going to miss a lot of upcoming rides.
                However I am still doing some reasearch on parts and will visit some wreckers and put word out I am looking for one, if by some miricle I come by a decent priced engine I would certainly consider it, even if just for backup for next time I blow it up.... He he he

Now my Wife must never see my last remark, or my life may shorten somewhat
                2006 GSXF750

Comment

Working...
                X