Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike in neutral, neutral light out, kickstand down, bike dies...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike in neutral, neutral light out, kickstand down, bike dies...?

A friend of mine just picked up a 2002 Katana 600 with 3200 miles. Owner disclosed this problem, and we were able to replicate it today. Sometimes the neutral light doesn't come on when the bike is in neutral, sometimes it does.

-I took it for a spin right after we noticed the light was out.
    -Took it down a rough road, and the bike shut down as if you would have put the kickstand down while it was in gear.
    -Still rolling, road smoothes out, I can fire it right back up and keep riding.

I get back and put the bike in neutral.........put the kick stand down.......bike dies......WHILE IT'S STILL IN NEUTRAL

A quick fix would be to cut the kickstand swith and jump the wire, but we would like to have the light working becuase he is a new rider.

Suggestions where to start looking to fix this problem? Is this a common problem with this generation Kat?

I have downloaded the service manual.....

The right solution is to find the neutral sensor and the wires leading to it -- odds are one of the wires is damaged, or the sensor has seen better days. The other possibility is that it isn't really in neutral properly (not shifting fully), so the sensor is seeing it as still being in gear because it's not hitting the neutral slot dead-center on the shift -- that would be indicative of a maladjusted shifter lever or a bent fork (Q: can you go 1-N-2 and 2-N-1 in a single motion in each direction without issue?).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yes, shifting is completely normal in both directions.

Comment

Find the neutral sensor, check the wires first (usually nick in the insulation grounding out if it's intermittent). Replace the sensor if the wire is healthy.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I assume the sensor is outside the motor around the shifter?

Comment

yes, it underneath the front sprocket cover

Comment

I'd expect you will have to drain the oil though to replace the sensor right? I think CP nailed it on the head. As for it shutting off on a rough road .. check your spring tension on the kick stand, it may be slack and need replacing. You don't want that happening when you're clipping down the freeway and hit a bad bump.
              2008 ZZR 600 (His)
              Black
              Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
              Red
              Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Working...
              X