X

Preasure release sound when opening the tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preasure release sound when opening the tank

Well I am still having vacume lock issues. The bike works and runs great with the tank cap open, when I close it the bike runs great until it builds up a vacume in the tank and then it stalls and won't run. All I need to do to start it is open the cap, and it works great. I have replcaed the tank(used), petcock (new OEM), and now the cap (new OEM) still getting the vacume build up. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas.
    sigpic

Does anyone know what the hose in the middle (bottom) of the tank is for? I can't remember if it's connected to anything or not. If it isn't, what is it there for? I thought it was to prevent this type of thing.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

That goes from the fuel filler opening where there is a drain for overflow and I assume any moisture that may get in on top. It's open even though I don't think it's a part of the vent system.
      sigpic

Comment

The drain tube on the 49-state model leads to the drain hole in the ring surrounding the gas cap filler neck; it's there to drain rain water and spilled gas (note the hole at the filler neck is on the left, so it's naturally the low-point when the bike is on the side-stand). Supposedly, it also has an upside-down J tube opening inside the gas tank next to the filler neck, but I've never noticed it myself on the 49-state models
        The california model definitively has a vapor tube in the tank that connects to the vapor-recovery charcoal cannister on those models.

Typically, the seal at the gas cap isn't tight enough to permit a vacuum-lock on the tank unless the vent tube inside is blocked as well (such as from a tank-coating that wasn't prepped for correctly). Suggest you check the drainage hose the nipple on the underside (center) of the tank connects to and make sure it's not blocked, kinked or folded over on itself; ditto on the tube inside the tank (let the tank empty, then try blowing through the fitting to see).

Q: Is your tank overly full? If so, it could be blocking the vent tube inside the tank as well.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't believe it is over full, I fill to about 1/2 inch from the top on the side stand. That should give alot of room upright. It's really giving me fits.
          sigpic

Comment

What is the red nipple thing inside the fuel fill opening?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PDEIBERT View Post
              What is the red nipple thing inside the fuel fill opening?
              ???????

I don't have a nipple in my tank.

Can you describe the nipple/take a picture of it?
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What red nipple thing?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If its anything like my GSXr, Its on the right side of the cap correct? It would be the higher side of the gas rim when the bike is on the side stand, that actually makes contact to the underside of the gas cap when it is closed, If you notice the alignment, it lines up with a hole in the underside of the cap itsself. Its actually the tank vent. Wait, Lemme run outside and take a few pictures of mine, Its probably the same, But I didnt think Kats had them on their tanks... BRB, going to go get pictures.

Ok.. Back, Heres the pics, Lemme know if thats what your seeing.

This is an overview looking forward on the bike.

This shows the hole in the cap where the red rubber thing meets.
                  Last edited by Newbie2it; 08-25-2008, 01:31 AM.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I've never seen that red stand-off for the drain/vent on the Kats...

Q: does that mean you have a second drain in the lower left for rain water?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes, there is an opening on the lower left, Unfortunately its not in the pics I posted above, However the dark area in the second photo that looks like rust, but is just dirt is right before the actual drain for the overflow/rainwater. The K4 tank sits a little more upright and so doesnt the filler door, So its actually set further back than the Kat drain.

This is why I ran out and grabbed pictures off my bike. Figure if he says "Yep, Thats what I mean" Then we know then Its not a stock Kat tank.

I honestly didnt think the Kat line had this feature. Lets see what the answer is on this with the 02 Kat.
                      Last edited by Newbie2it; 08-25-2008, 02:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Sorry, I've been away. Yes the nipple thing is like in the pics above only mine is on the hinge of the cap. I took the nipple out and wha la no more vacum problems. I am now nippleless, and happy.
                        sigpic

Comment

LOL Well, Glad to hear your happy about loosing your nipple. Now the remaining question is what did your nippled tank come from since its not from a Katana.

Comment

Working...
                          X